Ahh … Valentine’s Day. Love notes, chocolates, and roses are everywhere this time of year, and I love them all! The only thing that can make the day of love even sweeter is to get away with your sweetie. As the “LUV” airline, Southwest can whisk you and the LUV of your life to romantic places all over the United States. Whether you like adventure, nightlife, or just relaxing on the beach, here are a few of my favorite romantic destinations to visit:
1. New York City, New York—The Big Apple is a great place to getaway! Grab your ice skates and glide around at Rockefeller Center, take a stroll through Central Park, or relax on a boat through Classic Harbor Line Tours.
2. Key West, Florida—What better way to get to know each other than by going underwater snorkeling or scuba diving in the Florida Keys? After a busy day in the water, you can climb to the top of the Key West lighthouse for a relaxing view of the ocean.
3. Austin, Texas—Are you looking for a relaxing Valentine’s Day? Check out the Lake Austin Spa Resort in Austin, TX. This resort offers something for everyone with cardio and yoga classes, full-body massages, swimming, relaxing on hammocks and fine dining.
4. Branson, Missouri—Travel back in time with your date to the early 1900s by taking a ride on the Branson Scenic Railway through the Ozarks. Afterwards, you can explore some of Branson’s famous nightlife. With everything from local bands, to magicians to hypnotists and comedians, you are sure to never get bored!
5. Richmond, Virginia—There are many options to enjoy history and fine arts in Richmond. Visit the hundred-year-old Valentine Richmond History Center, to learn about American urban and social history. Afterword, act like detectives at a Richmond Murder Mystery Dinner, then check out the Richmond Ballet or the ComedySportz Improv Theatre.
6. San Francisco, California—Take a stroll across the Golden Gate Bridge for a view of the Pacific Ocean, Alcatraz Island, and the San Francisco skyline. Then you can relax in Golden Gate Park, and have dinner in China town.
7. Napa, California—Napa Valley is only an hour outside of San Francisco. While you’re there, you can take a hot air balloon ride over the beautiful Napa Valley. Later, enjoy a wine tasting in one of Napa’s famous vineyards.
8. Santa Fe, New Mexico—For a peaceful atmosphere, head to the Ten Thousand Waves Outdoor Hot Tub in Santa Fe. Located close to downtown and the National Forest, this outdoor hot tub has private and public pools with waterfalls and warm and cold temperatures.
9. Seattle, Washington—Feeling adventurous? Go on the Discovery Park Hike in Seattle. This mild to moderate hike is perfect for couples. Bring a picnic lunch and eat at the top while overlooking the Cascades. Later, you can have dinner at the SkyCity restaurant on top of the famous Seattle Space Needle. And be sure to check out the original Starbucks for your caffeine fix for the weekend!
10. New Orleans, Louisiana—Ready to do something unusual with your date this year? Head to the French Quarter in New Orleans and go on a French Quarter Phantoms haunted ghost tour. Later, get your fortunes told on Jackson Square and have a drink in Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop, one of the oldest bars in the U.S.
11. Charleston, South Carolina—For a beach getaway, go on a bike ride around the 7-mile Isle of Palms outside of Charleston. You could also fish in the marina or relax on the beach, which is recognized by the Blue Wave Designation to be environmentally well-managed. At night, stay at the Wentworth Mansion in downtown Charleston, a mansion converted into a hotel that takes you back to small-town life in 1886.
12. Chicago, Illinois—If you can’t decide what to do, head to Chicago for a variety of options. Wander around Navy Pier and enjoy cotton candy, games, a Ferris wheel, and boat tours. Or you could head to Millennium Park for ice skating and free concerts at the Pavilion. Later check out the Art Institute to get your fill of modern art, and have dinner in the Signature Room at the top of the John Hancock Observatory overlooking downtown Chicago.
13. San Diego, California—Sunny San Diego is a perfect destination for fun. The two of you can enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride along the coast Pacific Coast, and then have dinner on cruise over San Diego Bay. While you’re there, don’t miss seeing the pandas at the San Diego Zoo.
14. Las Vegas, Nevada—Finally, what better place to find romance than Vegas? Head to the Bellagio Fountains to see a show of water, music and lights with a mix of opera, classical and Broadway tunes. And if you find yourself ready to take the next step, you could even get married Elvis-style at the Graceland Chapel!