Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

boarding process and a 7 year old passenger

cfortier1
Explorer C

I recently traveled on a flight with 2 children.  One aged 10, one aged 7.  The children were too old for early boarding, we were assigned C boarding, and we were the last ones boarding the plane.  There were no seats together and we were forced to split up.

What is Southwest's practice/ policy as it relates to safety for a 7 year old passenger and a 10 year old passenger to be forced to take a seat away from his/ her parents?  I believe I had a uniquely bad experience on my flight and I want to just understand this moving forward because I take this flight a few times a year, with my children, and I want to be better prepared for the future.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: boarding process and a 7 year old passenger

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for posting this question in the Southwest Airlines Community.

Hopefully there are a few people here who can share their experiences and tips for boarding with children.

We understand a parent traveling with a young child would not want his/her child to board alone. In this case, we ask that the parent and child board together during Family Boarding (between groups A and B) if at least one child is six years of age or younger. Children seven and older should be asked to board according to their boarding pass number, and the parent should wait to board with their child. Usually the Flight Attendants are able to solicit volunteers who will move seats to accommodate a traveling family.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our boarding process and to offer the best possible travel experience for our Customers, so we appreciate you sharing your story and your feedback.

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

You're best bet with kids too old for Family boarding will probably be to try to get checked in ASAP (24 hours ahead of time) so that you get in an earlier boarding group. If you get an A (and probably a B) boarding pass, you'll likely be on the plane before all the "together" seats are taken. You should then be able to get a row together somewhere and be fine.

Then, of course, you'll want to be at the gate in time to board with your boarding group too. But, if for some unforseen reason you can't get to the gate on time to board with your group, or you get a later boarding pass, my suggestion is to offer to purchase a drink for someone if they'll switch seats with you. Often, the flight attendants will try this on your behalf, but if not, give it a shot. I think people will usually want to be helpful. 

Best of luck to you!

ober7212
Adventurer C

I know it costs $15/passenger, each way, but I would suggest Early Bird.  Almost guaranteed at least a B, likely A positions.

jimmiesatx
Explorer C

Thats what we do as an extra precaution