Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1 hour layover

mlittle217
Explorer C

I have a layover in Chicago that is only 1 hour. Our plane is scheduled to arrive 8am and connecting flight departure is 9am. I am so worried we wont make it. Will we have enough time? What happens if we miss the connection? Do I have to pay for a new flight? Where will my checked bags end up? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: 1 hour layover

franktravel
Aviator B

Did you book two separate flights? or is this all one conformation number? If it's one then that is the schedule and you should make it.  If for some reason you don't and you miss the connection SWA has to put you on the next available flight that has seats.

Re: 1 hour layover

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mlittle217 wrote:

I have a layover in Chicago that is only 1 hour. Our plane is scheduled to arrive 8am and connecting flight departure is 9am. I am so worried we wont make it. Will we have enough time? What happens if we miss the connection? Do I have to pay for a new flight? Where will my checked bags end up? Thanks!

Good morning.

First point would be that Southwest wouldn't sell you a ticket involving a connection if Southwest didn't think that you'd have enough time to make your connecting flight. So f your flight is on time, you should not have any trouble.

If' your flight is late, then it depends how late it is in order to determine whether or not you make your connecting flight. Remember your connecting flight could also be running late. Also if you are running just a bit late, the airline might hold the connecting aircraft so that you'd make the flight - that's more likely later in the day.

If you miss your connection, Southwest will automatically ty to book you on the next available flight. Your luggage would normally also be routed to that flight.

Hope you have a good trip.