Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1st time flying Southwest

Stitchcrazy
Explorer C

What is the early check-in and is it necessary to purchase? Pros and Cons? I'm flying from Atlanta to Houston Hobby. Any helpful tips are appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 1st time flying Southwest

McSmooth
Explorer C

It's not necessary if you check in EXACTLY 24 hours prior to your flight.  You will still get a good boarding number.

If you won't have the ability to check in exactly at 24 hours prior to your flight, then the early bird option is convenient.  

bec102896
Aviator A

EB just reserved you a boarding spot you could still end up with a B or C group. Personally I’d rather pay $30-$50 for the one way to get in the A 1-15 that way I can ensure a better seat or check in at 24 hour mark if it’s a low B don’t waste the money on the upgraded boarding either. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Stitchcrazy wrote:

What is the early check-in and is it necessary to purchase? Pros and Cons? I'm flying from Atlanta to Houston Hobby. Any helpful tips are appreciated. 

To combine the two answers:

• Do  you care if you end up in a middle seat? If not then definitely just wing it and see how it goes. 1/3 of people fly in a middle seat if the plane is full so it's not that bad, literally 50 to 55 people will do it on a relatively full 737-800 or Max.
  • Your mileage might vary even if you do buy it, I'm not a fan.
  • It will check you in before anyone that doesn't also buy it, so you'll be ahead of some people.
  • I'd prefer to spend a little more on "upgraded boarding position" if it is availble the day of the flight - if needed (you could check in and get a good position, the flight might not be full, etc. for several reasons you may not need upgraded boarding position but you won't know until the day of the flight.

I do recommend EBCI in one scenario - you won't be able to check in until you get the airport. Then it would be nice to be already checked in, not the last person to do it at the airport in case the flight was oversold for some reason you don't want to be the last person.

Traveling from the Caribbean for instance you might not have cell service, then I would buy EBCI.

Houston to Atlanta isn't that long of a flight, I'd say skip it and if you end up in a middle it's just for a few hours, save the money for a beverage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.