Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: $200 in hidden fees and my family still can’t sit together

sm19058
Explorer A

Correct, the agent Brook was also surprised by my early bird boarding number and worked with another agent Crystal to double check that EB was actually taken into account. Unfortunately it was processed; I just purchased it later than others.

i’m just going to try to get on with my A15 position and take my two kids with me 🤷‍♂️

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@

However if you did buy one of the upgraded boarding positions then you would not have much trouble to get onboard and hold the two seats next to you for your kids. Your spouse will have to fend for themselves, it will be much more difficult to hold a seat outside of your three-seat row.

That could be a redeeming factor for you since Southwest does not prohibit seat saving.

Take an aisle seat behind the exit row (back half of the plane) -- you'll be less likely to be questioned there. Throw some stuff in the middle and window seats - making them appear occupied. If someone asks if the sets are taken, simply say that your kids are sitting in them

sm19058
Explorer A

Sound strategy, thank you.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sm19058 wrote:

So for $200 in extra hidden family fees my family still can’t sit together on Southwest Airlines and the thing that frustrates me the most is the system knew we were going to be this far back when it offered “earlybird” for C29  thru C33 as a $160 scam.

The $40 is not a hidden fee by the way, it is quite well advertised. 

EBCI is a bit more nebulous in that you don't get any certain result other than being checked in automatically.

And there isn't any business class section - it's all economy, all you get for the upgraded boarding position is - the upgraded boarding position. It is still open seating.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sm19058
Explorer A

Fair points.

floridaguy
Aviator C

We have been seeing a lot of angry posts about the Earlybird check in.  It appears that most people believe that somehow they get a better seat.

sm19058
Explorer A

My expectation was to not be the last four people on the plane, yes.  I’m not positive what the equipment will be, but apparently if it’s a 737 we will be.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sm19058 wrote:

My expectation was to not be the last four people on the plane, yes.  I’m not positive what the equipment will be, but apparently if it’s a 737 we will be.

Actually, SW flies two different sizes of 737s (kind like coke in 12 oz and 16 oz cans)

737-700s seat 143. 737-800s and 737 Max8s seat 175

floridaguy
Aviator C

You have to understand that some on this board believe that Southwest can do no wrong.  They will defend the brand and even brush aside the Holiday DISASTER as it it was somehow overstated.  

You have the right to express your views as a consumer.  As far as I am concerned, your $200 went right to the bottom line (or what's left of it after the Holiday DISASTER takes its toll).  You have the right to ask for a refund and file a dispute on your credit card if you feel so inclined.

Do not be overly concerned by those that defend everything that Southwest does, or doesn't do.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy and I will understand that you probably write half these "posts" trolling the Community. Please get better hobbies while we try to inform, educate, and help others with actual questions. 

--TheMiddleSeat