Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: $200 in hidden fees and my family still can’t sit together

floridaguy
Aviator C

I am preserving and defending the rights of those who come to this board with valid complaints.  If you want to refer to that as "trolling", then please do so.  

I will continue to be in Florida where the sun shines bright, the weather is tropical and warm, and the taxes are low.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I am preserving and defending the rights of those who come to this board with valid complaints.  If you want to refer to that as "trolling", then please do so.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Preserving and defending??? That is HILARIOUS! Who knew trolls could also be clowns? 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@floridaguy wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Preserving and defending??? That is HILARIOUS! Who knew trolls could also be clowns? 

--TheMiddleSeat

Hilarious should be in red ink 

sm19058
Explorer A

It’s all good, they have every right to express their opinion too. I had just never heard of a C 33 earlybird check-in and wanted to warn others.

I got a solid strategy suggestion out of the posting so I’m good.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

We have been seeing a lot of angry posts about the Earlybird check in.  It appears that most people believe that somehow they get a better seat.

They do get "better"seats, but

SW can't help it if people don't read the terms and conditions.

EB offers auto check in and (from SW's EB page):

"Better boarding position
We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In® doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat."

It's not like it's hidden ...

bec102896
Aviator A

I’m curious if you print the boarding pass or look at the mobile boarding pass does it say EB check in on the pass anywhere? Online does it have that little Sun looking symbol? 

if your kids were younger they could do family boarding but at age 12 that is out of the equation. You could always talk to the gate agent and see if they can board during the extra time group after A and before B the worst they say is no 

floridaguy
Aviator C

People want Southwest pricing but Delta policies.  

They want to all sit together but don't want to pony up the dollars to fly Delta.

Open seating is why the pricing is low so I would suggest asking for a refund if you do not believe that you received value for your dollar.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy It doesn't matter if you fly Delta, United, Frontier, Emirates, Southwest, or any other airline, you don't get refunds just because you didn't get the "value" you expected. How is this "preserving and defending" anyone?

--TheMiddleSeat

sm19058
Explorer A

yes, under the details it has our name, early bird and checked in.  The agent confirmed EB was processed, and told me that it’s processed in the order that it’s purchased. So I was just one of the last to purchase it.  It’s spring break and Texas is a big spoke, so likely everyone purchased it.

she was also surprised by the C 32 spot and suggested I go to southwest.com. I thought that meant this board until someone told me I could email the helpdesk. I’ve done both now.

I plan to talk to the agent and offer my A15 spot in exchange for family boarding after A.  We’ll see.  Otherwise try to save kids 2 seats.

good suggestion, thanks 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I feel your pain relative to purchasing EBCI. My opinion of EBCI? Is that EBCI is the single greatest profit center Southwest ever created. It is not a good value for almost any passenger purchasing it, unless you want the only thing it guarantees, that your boarding position will be secured prior to the 24 hour check in time and you will not get a lower position if you check in later.

That being said, a Business Select Seat is NOT a bargaining chip for Family Boarding. If a SWA gate agent makes a deal with you, unfortunately you are part of the problem with the Southwest boarding process not part of the solution, because you are not following the Southwest Boarding Policy and you are literally Slighting(cutting in front of) every passenger from position B-1 back to the C boarding positions on your Boarding Pass.

What ever you decide I do wish you Safe travels