Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

30 minutes between flights

nac923
Explorer C

I just booked a flight to vegas ... layover in tampa.  I have 30 minutes from the time my plane lands until my next flight takes off.  Has anyone ever had that short of time span between flights ... I'm already paniced that i won't make the flight ... Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 30 minutes between flights

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Are you sure you change planes? What is the flight number & date? I wasn't aware that Southwest sold connections as short as 30 minutes.

bec102896
Aviator A

I have seen a 1 stop no change of planes with a 30 minute layover but usually for a change of planes the minimum I have seen is 35min which is doable as long as the first flight is not late.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The airline doesn't sell connecting flights when it thinks the connection is not possible.

So unless your inbound flight is delayed, yes you'll make your flight.

"What kind of seat will you get" is the question. Your conecting flight will begin boarding about the time your inbound flight lands. So you'll likely get to the gate when C spots are boarding.  Advice: Sit as close as you can to the front of your inbound flight to minimize the amount of time it takes you to get to your connecying flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@nac923 wrote:

I just booked a flight to vegas ... layover in tampa.  I have 30 minutes from the time my plane lands until my next flight takes off.  Has anyone ever had that short of time span between flights ... I'm already paniced that i won't make the flight ... Thanks.

To answer your question a slightly different way - if they sold you the flight, they are planning that you'll be able to make the connection. As discussed by the others - make sure the layover includes changing planes, you may be able to stay on your same aircraft. Otherwise, the concourse at TPA has all of the Southwest gates near each other with ten minute walk at the most between them. 

Some key points:

• If you have carryon luggage and you end up late to board a connection, you may have to gate check. Having something that fits under the seat would be the best.
  • Before you leave on your original flight check the status of each leg, if any are delayed Southwest may be able to re-route you. I'm thinking there are a very limited number of airports where TPA is "on the way" to LAS and hopefully you scored a low fare. If the network is under duress that day, maybe you can at least receive a more direct routing even though today it would cost more.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Of course, "you'll be able to make the connection" and "you actually made the connection" are two very different things these days.

But again, I've not seen Southwest sell a 30-minute plane change connection before. Boarding begins at 30 minutes prior to departure (if not earlier) so it seems unlikely.