Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

4 Hour Delay reported in Flight Status 7 hours before flight time - flight left almost on time

davismdd
Explorer C

Flight #1096 scheduled to leave at 7:40 pm BWI to MIA on 4/24.  Around noon, my husband checked flight status in the Southwest app and it showed the flight would not leave until 11:00 pm and arrive in MIA after 1:00 am, when the rental car agency would be closed.  We were scheduled for a scuba dive in Key Largo at 8:00 am the next morning, and because it seemed we would not be able to get our car rental (or much sleep) we cancelled our trip.     Later we were shocked to see the flight left just 20 minutes late.

In my experience, reported flight delays just get worse as the day goes on.   Why would a such a long delay be reported so early in the day  -- it seems it was not accurate information.

I do realize that booking a dive for the next morning was not an optimal choice  given that delays do happen.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 4 Hour Delay reported in Flight Status 7 hours before flight time - flight left almost on time

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I thought @bec102896 had a response to a similar issue that was spot on: 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Check-In-Boarding/delayed-flight-due-to-miscommunication-and-misi...

Delays change, planes get moved around, weather clears, ATC clears ground stops, etc.  No delay is 100% solid.  Unfortunately you decided to cancel and it was the wrong decision in this instance.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: 4 Hour Delay reported in Flight Status 7 hours before flight time - flight left almost on time

davismdd
Explorer C

Thanks for your response ... live and learn!

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

Most likely, at some point during the day, another plane was pulled into service to get the flight back on time.

The aircraft that ultimately operated your flight was probably not the same one that was originally supposed to operate it.

bec102896
Aviator A

BWI is a big airport for Southwest so its likely they found you another crew and plane for your flight and then the flight went out close to on time. 

Next time maybe look to see if an earlier flight is available or just wait till closer to departure time to cancel just in case an aircraft swap were to happen. 

One other note since you canceled if you booked the wanna get away fare your funds are being held for future travel those funds expire 1 year from when you originally booked your flight so be sure to use the funds so you don't lose them. 

davismdd
Explorer C

Thank you for your response, very useful information and we'll know better next time.