Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$50 Early Bird & Got B1?

buddro
Explorer C

Is this normal? I feel like I just got suckered out of $50. This is my first time flying with SouthWest and noticed they don't have assigned seating, so it seemed like paying the extra would allow me to grab a decent seat. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: $50 Early Bird & Got B1?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Seems totally normal.  EarlyBird does not guarantee an A position, only guarantees you get checked in before other non A-List flyers.  B1 is a pretty good position and I would be totally fine with it had I purchased EBCI.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm curious, what were you expecting?

--TheMiddleSeat

buddro
Explorer C

somewhere before 60 other people?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@buddro B1 will get you a choice of a window or an aisle, and you will be able to get two seats together.

How far in advance of the flight did you buy EBCI?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

A1-15 is blocked off for Business Select so you're down to 45 available spots. Depending on the route A-List flyers could take up all of the remaining A spots. You also have anyone flying as a companion to an A-List traveler and anyone else who purchased EBCI before you. Like I said before, B1 is pretty good and you'll have no problem with having plenty of seats to choose from. 

Have a good flight

--TheMiddleSeat

rich1954
Adventurer A

For $50 you probably could have upgraded at the airport and got A1-15. I've never been not able to.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'll use different words to further explain something that was discussed earlier in the thread.

Early bird boarding positions are assigned based on when EB was bought. So an EB that was bought a month ago will yield a boarding position than one that was bought two weeks ago.

EB boarding positions are assigned 36 hours before flight time. So an EB that was bought at 27 hour before flight time isn't worth a whole lot.

The only EB guarantee is than an EB bought more than 36 hours before flight time will ALWAYS yield a better boarding position than anyone  that does a self checkin.

jrhartwick
Explorer C

I had the the exact same thing happen to me.There were multiple individuals needing assistance loading, and loaded with their families.  Then there were a lot of families with kids 6 and under.  So even with B1, I ended up in the middle seat in the very last row of the plane.  I paid for Early Bird when I made my reservation 2 months before departure.  I ended up B1.  My son I did not pay for Early Bird, and he ended up B10 checking in 24 hours before. He also ended up in a middle seat.  They say that Early Bird is assigned 36 hours before… but I don’t know that I agree with that.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jrhartwick Someone has to be the last EarlyBird purchaser before general boarding begins.  So there were 8 people between you at EBCI and someone who checked in 24 hours prior, I don't see what the issue is.  The closer to departure date that you purchase EBCI the less value it has in terms of better boarding position.  It still saves you the worry of having to check in exactly 24 hours prior.

--TheMiddleSeat