Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: 737-700 and kiddos

ApplePair
Explorer B

The Doona website says 20, which is odd because the widest point of mine is almost 18”.  I’m so hopeful it will fit because that would make this adventure so much easier. Thanks for your message! I hope you’ve had good flights! 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

20220520_202629.jpg

@ApplePair So, this is what I've found out. Between the armrests, down the aisle, you have 18.5 inches. 

In the seats with both armrests in the down position, you have 16.5 inches. I think you'll be okay as long as the armrests stay up wherever you put baby. 

ApplePair
Explorer B

@TPArampgirl  You don’t know how much I appreciate this- thank you feels so inadequate. If I have 18.5 I should be okay bc the widest part isn’t quite 18”. So! 🤞🏼🙏🏼🤞🏼 I’ll plan for what to do if it doesn’t  fit, but I’m feeling hopeful it will! Which will make my life (& everyone else on the planes!) life so much better. 

My dad was a pilot and I grew up on planes and in airports so I know airline people are great people, but you really are the best. Bless you for taking the time to help this crazy stranger. 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

@ApplePair  I'm just glad I could help.  😊 

Emerald754
Explorer C

@TPArampgirl & @ApplePair Thank You both so much.... for asking the question about aisle width and providing visual dimensions. I've been searching the web and couldn't find an exact answer anywhere.  First time I'm flying with my 2yr old and trying to be prepared and ease some of my anxieties.  

About2be
Frequent Flyer B

@ApplePair, @TPArampgirl  has ALWAYS BEEN  a SWA 🦸‍♀️. She is exactly who you want working for you. Her dedication to servicing others is outstanding. From day 1 of her answering questions in the community she has always been thorough, kind, respectful, and honest. So luck to have her as co-heart. 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Aww! Thank you! 😊 🥲

Dougmech
Explorer C

SWA737-200 to -800, Top of arm rest maybe 18.5". But the important part is bumper to bumper measurement at the lower part of the seat. That maybe reducing the width to 17.5". As a Mechanic that made step stools 15" wide to fit between the seats to work the bins & ceiling area. For the most part Rows 3- aft entry the step stool fits just fine. But rows 1-2 where the plane narrows the stool needs to be carried over those seats. https://www.highskyflying.com/how-wide-are-airplane-aisles/ 

20/More Seat Passenger Airplanes

[Big airliners like the ‘Boeings’ and ‘Airbuses’ are found within this category of airplanes. The FAA Seat and Aisle Regulations require that the aisle width of these airplanes must be 15 inches from the floor to a height of 25 inches and 20 inches above a 25-inch height

Therefore, it is safe to say that the aisle width of the last Boeing or Airbus flight that you took was between 15 to 20 or more inches.]

Note: B707, 727, 737 all have the same BS 480 to nose section reduction in width and from BS 480 on back width. BS 480 is the split in the seat track to where it goes narrow. 

Ifuseeksarah
Explorer C

Hi! I’m traveling alone with my 5 month old soon and I have the doona too! I can’t decide what I want to do because I do have an extra seat for him.
What ended up happening? Did it fit? And if so, how was it in the seat? 
thank you 🙂

ApplePair
Explorer B

Hi! So… according to the measurements it should fit, but… it doesn’t. Which is a huge bummer because it’s so easy to roll it down the aisle when it fits! 

My technique is to use it like a stroller down the jet bridge. Then I’ve kept the wheels down going down the aisle (that way I doesn’t have to worry about hitting people with the wheels sticking out) and carry it down the aisle.

I baby wear to get through security (the Doona does fit through the security scanner, you have to collapse it and then put the handlebar at all the way to the back of the seat and it fits upside down on the belt, just fyi) but I put her in the Doona before we get on board. That way when you get to your seat you just have to collapse the wheels and strap the Doona in. It fits in the seat, but I don’t think it fits in the bulkhead because the arm rests are fixed. The person in front of you won’t be able to recline their seat, so just know you could make someone mad, but hopefully you don’t get a grouch or the flight isn’t too full. 🤞🏼You probably know this, but the car seat does need to go in the window seat. 

Safe travels! If you have anything else I can help with I’m happy to try, it’s hard to find help about car seat travel on airplanes!