Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Benefit - Board Together

mjvane01
Explorer C

On March 12 I received the following email from Southwest:

We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do.* That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier.

Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.

Thanks for being a Rapid Rewards® Member. We love that you're here and can't wait to fly with you soon.

Does this apply to someone traveling under a Companion Pass? According to a strict reading of the language above I assume that it does.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: A-List Benefit - Board Together

dfwskier
Aviator A

The e-mail did say "anyone" travelling with an ALister qualifies. So companion pass qualifies.

Eit add: the policy does say "on the same reservation"

If another traveller has a different confirmation number, then that is not the same reservation

A-List Benefit - Board Together

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm waiting for an employee to reply to this one!  I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere on another post that it "didn't" apply to companion.  Only on those where you book altogether and one of them is an A-List, meaning you paid full price for everyone in that group.  I hope clarification comes soon as I am about to start traveling again and have a Companion person.   I hope I'm wrong.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No gate agent is going to look at confirmation numbers or question the travelers to verify they were all actually booked on the same reservation. If a person or persons present themselves with an A-List traveler they will be allowed to board together. 

--TheMiddleSeat

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@TheMiddleSeat,  I wonder if the boarding software will be programmed to deal with the new policy since the confirmation numbers are on the boarding passes.  It could be fairly simple — like the bong sound that the computer produces if the boarding pass and the flight don’t match.  I cannot recall if it bongs when a B40 that is not A-List tries to board as A16.  As you point out, it likely won’t be the boarding agent doing the verification.  

richf
Explorer C

False benefit!  A-List Preferred CANNOT have their Companion Pass member board with them, nor children. When you pay cash for yours, companion pass and points for kids, you get 3 different reservation numbers...which does not get to use the benefit.  How ridiculous of Southwest.  And the gate agents are "just following policy".

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@richf Have you personally been told by a gate agent that a person flying as a companion could not board with an A-List traveler?

--TheMiddleSeat

richf
Explorer C

Yes.  They said they had to follow policy.

jenick29
Explorer C

As a companion I have experienced this both ways. I have gate agents prevent me from boarding with my A-List husband (humiliating) and others who allow it. It’s honestlt nerve racking every single time we fly, which is a lot!  We’ve had ticket agents tell us that as a companion I should board with my husband. This is very frustrating!  It shouldn’t matter that the reservation number is different. IMHO, by attaining Companion pass, the flight HAS been paid for multiple times.  

Five days ago I sent a customer service complaint to Southwest, which is by far my favorite airline, after one gate agent yelled at me when I was half way down the jetway. I simply requested that they address the issue of confusion at the gate and with their customers. have yet to hear anything back. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I believe the rule is that companions board at their boarding pass number.  Make the assumption that will happen, and if you get to board earlier, then you've beaten the system. Feel grateful.

So, get in line with your husband, and if the gate agent say no, just go to your assigned spot.

There's no humiliation involved. The gate agent is simply following the rules,

You can always request that Southwest change it's policy.