Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Benefit (board together) with Business Select Fare and Companion

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Hi,

Just wondering what Southwest’s Official or Unofficial policy is regarding A List Boarding together for Companions on a Business Select Fare?

I’ve bought the is a BS fare only once before and that was last month we were allowed to board together despite my companion getting in the B boarding group. Gate Agent didn’t say anything but did give a look.

I guess it would be preferable to stand at the A-15 spot regardless of what other lower A I may get so it can be easier for Companion to board with me.

Just wanted to see thoughts on this as we have a trip booked for our Honeymoon and wouldn’t like any issues

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A-List Benefit (board together) with Business Select Fare and Companion

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It should work as companion to your A-list, apparently buying BS fare supersedes your A-list status and it doesn’t work automatically, you’d need to confirm with the gate agent I think them allowing it was in the spirit of what Southwest wants to happen, but is unofficial and might not be offered by all gate agents.

Mentioning that it’s your honeymoon in advance can’t hurt as well if you go the BS route, the airline LUVs to hear about honeymooners.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Previous discussion in the Community indicates the companion boarding benefit does not apply when a Business Select fare is purchased.  That would put the companion in the A1-15 slots and it does not seem Southwest either wants to do that or can't figure out the programming to do it.  Could you ask a gate agent?  Sure, but like you experienced, your experience may vary.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It makes some sense, there are a limited number of A1-15 spots that people may pay extra for, Southwest needs a way for the pass holder and companion to be A1.1 and A1.2 so the extra BS spot isn’t taken. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

That’s why I said we wouldn’t mind putting ourselves at A15 regardless of if say I got an A2 boarding position. That way they’d unofficially be A16 and able to board without an issue technically.

Another issue I foresee is it’s first a domestic flight (DAL -> HOU) which shouldn’t be an issue, then it’s an international flight (HOU -> LIR). But I will try to go to the desk and ask on the 2nd leg as that’s definitely the most important leg of the trip.

I feel like SW’s system has been so hit or miss lately. I’ve had times recently where I’ve done the online check in 22 hours before the flight and gotten A22 so I assumed the flight wouldn’t be packed, nope it was 100% full, but despite checking in 2 hours “late” (late for me as I check in usually right at 24 hours to secure an A boarding) I still got an A. Then others where I check in 30 seconds after the 24 hour mark and get a B - Boarding position.