Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A List and A List Preferred Boarding News!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Awesome update from Southwest:

We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do.* That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier.

Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.”

More from the website:

”Once a Member qualifies for A-List or A-List Preferred status, Southwest will automatically reserve a boarding position for such Member and all Passengers included on a reservation with such Member 36 hours prior to each of the Member's confirmed Southwest flights (“priority boarding”), unless one or more of the following applies:

• The reservation is booked less than 36 hours prior to scheduled departure.
  • The Member’s Rapid Rewards account number is not saved to reservation at least 36 hours prior to check-in.
  • The reservation is a Group Travel itinerary with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member. Only A-List and A-List Preferred Members will receive priority boarding.
  • Any change is made to an existing reservation within 36 hours of a scheduled flight.
  • One or more Passengers travels standby on a different flight than what was originally confirmed.
  • The flight is taken after a Member’s A-List or A-List Preferred status expires.
  • Irregular operations, which may affect A-List or A-List Preferred Membership benefits.
  • A boarding pass is not presented and/or the Passenger is not present for boarding in the departure gate area at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure time.“

So excited to hear this news!!!

-A List, Companion Pass holder
41 REPLIES 41

Re: A List and A List Preferred Boarding News!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Good move! It    addresses an ongoing complaint.

I wish SW would take credit for doing things like that.

Something like "We've listened to out customers and made a change..." 

Edit add: I'm A List and SW did e-mail the change to me.

I have access to another passenger's account who is not A List, and he did not receive the e-mail

NS123
Explorer C

How is this going to work? As an a list preferred flyer, who travels for business, Am I going to be competing for A Seats with families boarding in front of me. There are times on busy flights my boarding pass is already in the 30’s. You already are gracious to allow family boarding. I don’t see how this is a huge benefit to the majority of your A-list preferred members. 

jan8776
Explorer A

I agree...between this and the number of "pre-boarders" especially those that don't really need it the A list and A list preferred will end up at the back of the bus.  I do not agree with this change and hope they reconsider.....

Youwereatwork
Explorer C

Have to say I am not thrilled with this decision. As an A List Preferred, I will now be competing or losing preferred seat selection on the plane to other As plus in some cases multiple family members. This move chips away at what was legitimate status.  I imagine your staff did not want to deal with the gray area of some “saving” seats for loved ones and this makes it easier on them. I get it...but do not like it. Boo! 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Youwereatwork @NS123 

I actually primarily travel solo as well, so I get your perspective.

Furthermore, when my family is with me, generally my wife is on a Companion Pass with the kids on points. From what I understand, we won’t get checked in together because we will technically be on separate reservations. I have a feeling there will be a large number of AL and ALP folks in the same boat. So no impact to other ALs and ALPs. 

I also expect the impact to be minor to my general solo SLP travel times for work. Those are not the times families are typically heading out. 

But on the plus side, when I, you, others do travel with family, it is a great perk. 

So the way I see it is that there is a small downside for huge upside. I am excited about what I see as a very positive change.

SWDigits
Aviator A

So here is an interesting wrinkle of a question.  Does this address boarding for Companion Pass holders that are also A-List?  Those are separate reservations where this seemingly wouldn't apply.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

IMO it is within Southwest’s prerogative to say cash tickets get these, or whole reservations on points, but that it won’t apply to reward “add-on” tickets like separately booked companion or points tickets.

i do think they would intend for companion tickets to apply. This also would work for me with buying one ticket for my daughter while mother and lap child come on at family boarding. Or me and both kids board and wait for mommy.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@SWDigits The way it reads is that folks literally have to be on the same reservation.  Since companions are not, technically, I am assuming that this update does not cover that.  Maybe we can get some clarification?

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

This is awesome news! I'm also super interested on how it works for companions — they're definitely the ones we want flying with us! Will be interesting since, while it's not the same reservation, they are linked. 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger