Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: A List and A List Preferred Boarding News!

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

+1 (haha, or +2) to that! 😉

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

mjennen
Explorer C

Guess what - Southwest just informed me that the extension to persons on same reservation for priority boarding does not extend to those traveling on a Companion Pass because they are not on the same reservation.

So those A List and A List Preferred members who fly with their Companion Pass person will not get extended this benefit even though they are the most loyal customers Southwest could possibly have.

Missymoons5
Explorer C

No benefit at all if you are A-list with a companion pass. You’d have to pay full fare for your companion to end up on the same reservation. Defeats the entire purpose and the perk of companion. Wish they would work on a way for companion passers to be booked on the same reservation. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Missymoons5 @I am AList Pref w/ CP, so I get the struggle! And you are correct in that this doesn’t work for travel partners flying on a CP. 

I am hoping that SW will continue this enhancement soon to allow for what you are saying. Since we have CP, my wife and I are literally never on the same reservation. 

But we make it work; it is more than worth it for the CP perks!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

kkenney
Explorer C

Unfortanely the ticket agents havent got this message!  Just dealt with one in nashville boarding a flight to cleveland who had issue with it!

bec102896
Aviator A

@kkenney wrote:

Unfortanely the ticket agents havent got this message!  Just dealt with one in nashville boarding a flight to cleveland who had issue with it!

Were all the travelers on the same confirmation number? If not this benefit won't apply. 

SM7
Explorer A

NOT TRUE. One of the most BAIT & SWITCH policies by any airline! This is ridiculous. I've been an A-List member for 15 years & A-List preferred for couple years with a companion pass for my kid for the last 4 years. I read this as simple English language & then the Southwest gate handlers at Phoenix Airport gate D-7 embarrassed me by first feigning ignorance about the policy & then clarifying that "the companion needs to be on the same reservation #" which they know is impossible!! Wow! Funny thing is I fly all over the US & only Southwest Gate handers at Orlando & Phoenix enforce & are happy to rub it in your face. I've flown & had my kid board along with me in so many other Airports like San Diego, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, San Jose, LAX, Ontario-LA, Orange County etc & they never make any fuss of a 8-year old boarding with me. And now Southwest rubs it in my face again! Not nice at all.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Bobbyduarte
Explorer C

This is not true. I have had problems trying to have my wife board with me .  I am a list preferred 4 years in a row. Companion pass for 2.  
the Southwest employee taking boarding passes does not know of this !!!! Twice I had to board with B group , trying to explain this post to the employees!!!! My wife will travel with me again in 2 weeks.   I can only except more issues due to employees not letting her board with me.  I am almost always A-16. By the time the employee looks and reads this post.  We are boarding with B group!!!!

gsking
Aviator C

@Bobbyduarte wrote:

This is not true. I have had problems trying to have my wife board with me .  I am a list preferred 4 years in a row. Companion pass for 2.  
the Southwest employee taking boarding passes does not know of this !!!! Twice I had to board with B group , trying to explain this post to the employees!!!! My wife will travel with me again in 2 weeks.   I can only except more issues due to employees not letting her board with me.  I am almost always A-16. By the time the employee looks and reads this post.  We are boarding with B group!!!!

Two things I don't understand here:

1.  If you book your CP ticket more than 48 hours before the flight,  your companion will get a boarding number one higher than you. 

2.  If you don't,  your CP will get a "regular" assigned boarding number.   If she is A- list,  she can board after the A group.  If not,  she'll have to board at her assigned spot.   

But how hard is it to save a middle seat for your spouse?