Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: A-List and Companion Pass Boarding

KTurkel
Explorer C

Two questions - what level ticket did you book and did you get an early bird for anyone? I went through the A-List Preferred/Companion Pass Business Select ticket nightmare a few months ago. Trying to get it right this time!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KTurkel Sequential boarding position is not given to companions if CP holder purchases a Business Select ticket.

--TheMiddleSeat

SingingAngel
Explorer C

I am A-list, purchased a ticket with my husband who is not A-List as well as a companion ticket for son who is the designated companion for me.  For the last two flights, when we check in, I have the earliest boarding position, my son received the next number, and my husband received the next number after that. 

Normally A-list passengers are assigned a boarding position. I typically check in exactly 24 hrs prior, so I was never sure if my companion son was just lucky in getting the boarding position right after me cuz he also was checking in exactly 24 hrs prior. However today he checked in first. And I didn’t check in until 10 minutes later because I couldn’t get cellular or WiFi access due to being in a remote location. When I finally checked it, our boarding positions were me, then my companion son, then my husband who was on the same confirmation number with me. So this tells me that the A list passenger is assigned first, then their companion, then anyone else on their same confirmation number. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SingingAngel wrote:

I am A-list, purchased a ticket with my husband who is not A-List as well as a companion ticket for son who is the designated companion for me.  For the last two flights, when we check in, I have the earliest boarding position, my son received the next number, and my husband received the next number after that. 

Normally A-list passengers are assigned a boarding position. I typically check in exactly 24 hrs prior, so I was never sure if my companion son was just lucky in getting the boarding position right after me cuz he also was checking in exactly 24 hrs prior. However today he checked in first. And I didn’t check in until 10 minutes later because I couldn’t get cellular or WiFi access due to being in a remote location. When I finally checked it, our boarding positions were me, then my companion son, then my husband who was on the same confirmation number with me. So this tells me that the A list passenger is assigned first, then their companion, then anyone else on their same confirmation number. 

That's right, anyone being assigned as part of the A-list hierarchy has their position assigned at T-36 hours even though you retrieve it at T-24 hours. So it wouldn't have mattered in the current system when you got the boarding pass for your son.

This has worked  for me as well this year with one companion and two travelers on the same itinerary, and in one variation me and companion and my wife and traveler on same itinerary since she has her own promotional A-list that's not as strong as my A-list they ended up a little behind me and companion, but close.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

As of late I keep getting information that my companion has to check in separately to my being checked in, but she still has the next boarding pass as I do.  I go ahead and have her, and myself check in anyway just so something crazy happens she doesn't check in and is a C boarder.  I'm not sure why this announcement comes up

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@SWFlyer007 Yes, your companion needs to check-in, but the boarding position is already assigned if the companion pass holder checks in. Just like a A-List flyer has to check-in even though their boarding position is assigned prior to check-in. If a flyer does not check-in by at least 10 minutes prior to departure their reservation is canceled.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat   As always, a wealth of information.  That makes sense.