Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-list means nothing

Marmey
Explorer C

Hi, I am a A-list Preferred customer I fly Southwest 90 percent of the time.  Lately it is becoming really ridicules the amount of pre-boards getting on the plane with wheel chairs then when the plan lands they run off the plane. Today I am on a flight from Vegas to Tampa and a whole family of 5 people pre boarded with nothing wrong with them I believe Southwest needs to start boarding these people after the A-group!! I am going to stop flying Southwest and fly Delta they don't have this problem and there Sky Priority people are taken care of. Southwest needs to do something about this and maybe I will fly with them again in the future!!!!

12 REPLIES 12

Re: A-list means nothing

jr_chitown
Explorer C

Agree! I don't mind them boarding early. I just wish that they aren't allowed to take some of best seats on the plane. They usually take the first row and all of the overhead space. If they are preboarding they should make them check their luggage. Only their personal bag is allowed. This would definitely deter more of the abuse. I am also an A-list preferred traveler and I have switched back to United ( I am 1K) for most of my flights. It's amazing how others airlines treat their loyal flyers. I still like southwest, but I get very frustrated with my frequent business travels.

Dave1994
Explorer C

The biggest problem to me is that they then get off the plane first, and while getting back into wheel chairs in jetways, block passengers exiting - who are trying to make connections!  How about this:  1st on, last off.

Don't get me started on the faux 'comfort dogs'.

And A-List means nothing when calling the so-called designated A-List phone #.  It just rolls over to their main switchboard.  I've asked the operator multiple times, and they've always confirmed that.

hailmd
Explorer C

I understand you frustration.  It does seem like more of a line in pre-board.  However, my family flys SW exclusively have several horrible lost luggage incidents with other airlines.  I am one of the pre-boarders who flys alot.  I am also one of those 'people' who takes a front row seat when I can so that I do not affect other passengers around me.  If I am unable to get a 'front row' seat, I unfortunately must stick my leg in the aisle during the flight.  This is not necessarily safe for others and certainly not for the flight attendants. 

While I understand your frustration, I also know the money and time I spend on flights.  My family also pays for upgrades.  There is a fine line, but until you have met the circumstances and facts, how are you drawing your conclusion?

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

draw conclusions by the fact that the number of pre-boards on SWA is usually double or triple the number you see on assigned seating airlines. There is simply more incentive to preboard when your prize is better seat selection - and I believe the rule is one family member per pre-board but this is seldom enforced. I can hardly wait until the Hawaii flights start - 6 hour flights and I predict a third of the plane will be pre-boards. SWA needs to do something...go to assigned seating, rope off a few rows for A-list preferred....SOMETHING!

Bond
Explorer C

Thank you. I have to pay for my daughter to have early bird to sit with me - and 15 other people just go to the previsrd line and push us all back

Bond
Explorer C

Thank you. I have to pay for my daughter to have early bird to sit with me - Which is fair - and then 15 other people just go to the preboard line and push us all back

Rjfarkas1
Explorer C

Also an A-List Preferred flyer, I can attest that this is indeed a very frustrating experience. I also know that if it seems as though some are taking advantage, they may very well be. 

But there is another component that you and I cannot “see.” The grieving widow. The PTSD-suffering soldier. The anxiety-ridden teenager. A son racing across the country to his ailing mother.

We can’t see these issues but they exist. Putting SWA in the position to have to verify claimed conditions opens them up to any number of liabilities that would impact their operations-and our experience-in a negative way. 

Its one thing to have achieved A-List status. It’s another thing altogether to consider yourself entitled above others in so doing.

It sucks when you see an obvious abuse. Just please consider that it might not all be abuse. 

Resp-

RJF

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

"Its one thing to have achieved A-List status. It’s another thing altogether to consider yourself entitled above others in so doing."

HUH? Isn't that the purpose of a status? to reward your best customers with perks and privileges that are available only to those reaching that status? What is ridiculous is monetizing something either through EB, A-List etc. and then SW giving it away exacerbated by open seating

tpegan
Explorer A

A couple of years ago I was also A-List Preferred, now just A-List.  I changed my flight on short notice and was issued a C boarding pass, but it stated A-List Preferred.  I boarded at the end of the A group and the boarding agent felt the need to come on the intercom and announce that I was trying to board out of position.  I pointed to A-List Preferred on my pass and she thankfully became silent.