Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-list, no option for purchase EB for next year when I'm not A-list

narimansodeifi
Explorer C

Hi All, 

This is my first post here. 

I have an A-list status currently (2018). 

When I purchase tickets for my 2019 flight, I'm not offered option to purchase Early Bird during purchase process (because I'm A-list and no need for EB). 

But I know next year I won't have my A-list Status. 

So...

If I purchase my March 2019 flight right now (September 2018), will
A. the system automatically check me in earliers with all the other A-List members (even though I'm no longer A-list). or
B. will I have have to check in with all other normal (non A-list and non EB) folks?

I know I won't be A-lister next year and I want to make sure I get at least EB check in.  

But now that I'm A-list, the system doesn't offer me EB option during ticket purchase.

Any thoughts on this?  Has anyone run into this?

Thanks,

Nariman

12 REPLIES 12

Re: A-list, no option for purchase EB for next year when I'm not A-list

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

What you're seeing is a limitation of the system, you're stuck in limbo where you won't have A-List automatic assignment of boarding position, but you can't add EarlyBird.  There are two ways I can think of to handle this... add on the EarlyBird Check-in on Jan 1 when your A-List status goes away or make the reservation now without including your RR# on the reservation so you can add EBCI now, then add your RR# once your A-List status goes away.  Waiting to add EBCI might affect your boarding position as position appears to coincide with date of purchase.  Leaving off RR# means it won't be in your list of upcoming travel, but as long as you don't forget about the trip I don't see any harm in going this route.  Just make sure you are logged out on southwest.com and enter in all your information manually, skipping the RR# field.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

ILV2fly
Adventurer C

Hi @TheMiddleSeat,

Quick question. If the passenger makes the reservation now without the RR#, EBCI can be purchased as you mentioned. My question is after the reservation is made and EBCI is purchased, can’t the passenger immediately go into the reservation and add a RR# now instead of waiting until A-List status expires on Jan 1?

I’m curious. 🙂

All the best,

ILV2fly

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ILV2fly interesting question, unfortunately I would be completely guessing if I answered so someone will just have to give it to a try. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ILV2fly wrote:

Hi @TheMiddleSeat,

Quick question. If the passenger makes the reservation now without the RR#, EBCI can be purchased as you mentioned. My question is after the reservation is made and EBCI is purchased, can’t the passenger immediately go into the reservation and add a RR# now instead of waiting until A-List status expires on Jan 1?

I was also thinking this, but also not sure of what the answer would be. I think this might be worth trying - would the system allow you to continue carrying the EB while you were an A-lister currently?

If not, I would assume that you could get a refund or it would be automatic since it isn't the passenger canceling it.

Then also if no, you'd still be 2-3 months early to add the EB on January 1st, although you may be behind some other EB people you'd also be ahead of many also who book in the 1-2 month timeframe.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

narimansodeifi
Explorer C

Thank you all for your help.   I even called A-list support line about this and their solution was to purchase EB on January 1.  Not very helpful.  I like TheMiddleSeat response about purchasing it without RR # and then adding RR# later.  I know this works.  
2 years ago, they gave me A-list for 3 months in middle of the year (April-June) for free. 
I had already purchased EB and now I was A-list member for 3 months.  that worked fine.  i don't know if EB gave me good seats or A-list, but I got checked in early.  
I'm tempted to cancel all my future flights and re-book them with the TheMiddleSeat system (no RR when booking and purchasing EB).  
Again, thank you everyone for your help. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@narimansodeifi wrote:

Thank you all for your help.   I even called A-list support line about this and their solution was to purchase EB on January 1.  Not very helpful.  I like TheMiddleSeat response about purchasing it without RR # and then adding RR# later.  I know this works.  
2 years ago, they gave me A-list for 3 months in middle of the year (April-June) for free. 
I had already purchased EB and now I was A-list member for 3 months.  that worked fine.  i don't know if EB gave me good seats or A-list, but I got checked in early.  
I'm tempted to cancel all my future flights and re-book them with the TheMiddleSeat system (no RR when booking and purchasing EB).  
Again, thank you everyone for your help. 

If the price of the flights now is similar to when you booked, this sounds like a great option.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

That's a really helpful workaround suggestion, @TheMiddleSeat. Thanks for sharing!

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

So there was a time 3 years a go I made a reservation over the phone and I added early bird as I wasn't A List yet but wanted to be sure I would get A or early B. I knew I would reach A List before that flight but didn't want to wait until I earned the A List as the flight I was taking was only 38 hours later luckily the EB stuck when I earned status. it had both the A List mark and the EB mark with no problems so I was A List and EB check in for that flight

so i I would make a reservation (without your RR number) then add EB check in then add your RR number and it should work 

Hope this helps! 

Blake 

narimansodeifi
Explorer C
Solution

UPDATE:

Well, I took the lazy path and waited until Jan 1 to just add EB to my flight.  

Mistake.  

On Jan 2nd, I logged into my southwest account, search for early bird and it took me to EB page.  I entered my Confirmation number.  The site poped up an error saying I'm not eligible for EB. 

What!!!!!

I waited until it was 2019 and I was no longer A-list member and it still would not let me add early bird.  There was a phone number on the error message to call Southwest support. 
After 40 min wait, support person came online.  

I explained the whole thing.
She said waiting for new year won't change the fact that the ticket purchased was associated with A-List member and just because it is new year, that won't change anything.  
She had to remove my RR# from all the flights I had made reservation for.  

Then I purchased EB.  

After I had EB associated with that account, I could add the ticket to my RR# for it to show on my account again.  

So Note for anyone who ever run into this. 

Option 1.  

Call support and have them removed RR# from your ticket and then buy EB. 

Option 2.

Cancel ticket.  buy a new ticket without using your RR#.  Buy EB.  Then add RR# to your ticket. 

Hope this helps others who run into this issue.