Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: A list preferred getting B group positions

samspade
Explorer C

Heads up that the core issue is still unresolved. I'm A-list, checked in approximately 23 hours and 57 seconds before the flight and got a B51 boarding pass. I probably would have gotten a better spot if I weren't A-list. (No way did 110 people buy early bird check in or check in during the 3 seconds it took me to click buttons. Come on.)

When I called customer service, they told me about boarding after the A group, which still makes me at best the 61st person on the plane instead of maybe the 20th like I should have been. (But I should somehow be thrilled it's not 111th?)

I don't understand why losing 41 slots in  boarding position is somehow considered a solution, with the customer service rep acting like I should be relieved. NOT cool, Southwest, first for letting this "A-list/B-group glitch" continue for YEARS and then for not having any kind of acceptable solution for it. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@samspade, not really sure what ongoing glitch you are referring to as this thread was related to a one time event that lasted for a few days. A couple questions for you... did make the reservation more than 36 hours prior to scheduled departure? And did the A-List indication show up on your boarding?

A-List passengers are assigned a boarding position 36 hours prior to departure and are ahead of EarlyBird Check-In passengers. It also doesn't matter when (within 24 hours of departure) you complete the check-in process so no need to do it exactly at 24 hours prior. Your comment about having 110 people purchase EBCI or check in before you doesn't apply to your situation if you are A-List and completed the reservation more than 36 hours prior to departure as all those people would be behind you in line, not ahead.

Also, A1-A15 can be completely empty as those positions are reserved for Business Select fares or passengers that pay to upgrade their boarding position at the airport. 

Some flights, especially inter-California, are popular with commuters and business travelers who are all A-List. Additionally, Southwest has been offering more ways to earn A-List through various promotions and as a result I think you'll find more flights where A-List passengers are assigned B boarding positions. As you were informed, you can always board at the A61 position. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@samspade, not really sure what ongoing glitch you are referring to as this thread was related to a one time event that lasted for a few days. A couple questions for you... did make the reservation more than 36 hours prior to scheduled departure? And did the A-List indication show up on your boarding?

Some flights, especially inter-California, are popular with commuters and business travelers who are all A-List. Additionally, Southwest has been offering more ways to earn A-List through various promotions and as a result I think you'll find more flights where A-List passengers are assigned B boarding positions. As you were informed, you can always board at the A61 position. 

--TheMiddleSeat

If it is actually that many A-list members in front of him that he got a B-number, then all those same B-number A-listers will be squeezing in at A61 for the same net effect anyway.

I do think it is worth a reminder that any last-minute bookings under the 36-hour timeframe won't have the automatic assignment.

Otherwise I suspect an issue with the rapid rewards account information being applied to the booking. Are you getting your credit for that recent flights @samspade?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm not seeing any other reports of this being a widespread issue. (Not since the systems problem discussed earlier.)

1) Did you book or make a change less than 36 hours out?

2) Does you BP say "A-LIst" on it?

3) If not, contact Southwest to check that your status is attached to all future flights, as it may have been dropped from this one ("glitch").

Good luck.