Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-list priority boarding not working

MB750
Explorer C

My last two flights have not automatically checked me in 24hrs in advance and I end up sitting in steerage.  WTF?  I haven't changed anything in my account, something just stopped working somewhere in the system and I don't get automatically checked in.  I'm using the mobile app exclusively for this.  All my bookings are under my SWA account number so I know they're seeing that I'm A-list.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: A-list priority boarding not working

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Does your boarding pass show that you are A-List? Give SW a call and they can look at your account. 

pmcniff
Explorer C

I am A-list preferred as well and have been for several years. I checked in to to a flish that I booked a few weeks ago expeting my normal low "A " boarding griup , but was given a "c" grouping instaed. I call the Alist preferred number and they told me there is nothing they could do an I was the 5th person that she had talked to about this problem this morning. I called customer service in Dallas and spoke to a supervisor who told me the same thing. She suggested that I buy the upgraded boarding position at the airport gate tomorrow morning. I told her that normally those are not always available . She didn't seem to care and just kept parroting from her written remarks. VERY disappointed in how this was handled. So much for the PR BS that they empower their  employees to make decsions for the benefit of custoners.  

I also called the  Southwest corporate office and explained my problem. She took my number and said someone would call me back. It has been 5 hours and no call as yet. I am not optimistic.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Lots of people are reporting this "glitch" the past couple of days. 😞

My advice is to board at the end of the A group, per A-List policy, or if you prefer buy Upgraded Boarding and reach out to Customer Relations later and request a refund.

Unfortunately, because of how Southwest's boarding position system works, there's not much else you/they can do. Positions have already been allocated, and gate agents aren't allowed to give out Upgraded Boarding for free.

robinkneer
Explorer B

Same issue and same response from customer service!

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

There is a known issue and Southwest is working on it. The Agents should be well aware of this issue so talk to them about boarding in the A group. Most of them will probably allow you to board early. There is no need to call or email Customer Relations because they can't manually change your boarding position anyway. All you will get is an apology and you'll end up right where you started.

WonderDog
Explorer C

Happened to me today, too.

Do you know if when this happens if you earn the 25% A-List bonus points for the flight?

csdbiostat
Explorer C

This happened to me for a flight on Sunday August 13.  Although I often wait to check/print my boarding pass until I'm at the airport, I fortunately discovered it on Saturday.  I was surprised to be C-5.  Even worse, my boarding pass didn't give my status, so I knew that there was no way that I could even board after A group.  I received a form email from SW about this "technical glitch" yesterday, but my biggest complaint is with the customer service I received when I called on Saturday.

The first person repeatedly tried to tell me that the problem was that I hadn't paid for early bird checkin.  I felt like saying, "Do I really sound stupid enough to believe this?"  She eventually backed down on this approach and offered to change my record so that my status would appear on my boarding pass and I could then board after A group.

Although boarding after A group isn't the end of the world, it's not what I expect from having been a SW frequent flyer for >10 years.  I then asked if she could give me an A1-A15 boarding pass.  She put me on hold.  Eventually, a supervisor came on the line and said that this is not something SW can do.

However, when I got to the airport the next day, I went to the first SW gate and asked again.  This time I was told that they were giving affected customers A1-A15 boarding passes, but I had to go to the gate for my flight.  I did so, but was told that they had all A1-A15 boarding passes had already been given out.

It's hard for me to understand the "technical glitch" after all these years, but I'll accept this.  However, the mixed and contradictory messages from customer service are unacceptable.

scstev
Explorer C

Same happened to me, most recently a few days ago.  I didn't have a bad position, because I happened to check in manually when I opened the app, about 24 hours early.  However, I did receive an email today from Southwest acknowledging the problem and offering a credit to RR account for 1500 miles.

I will note that I think this problem has been off and on for at least a few months, because I have noticed that sometimes I get a notice that I've been automatically checked in and here's your boarding # and sometimes I get nothing, or even a notice that's it's 24 hours in advance and time to check in!

I mentioned it at least two months ago to an agent, who didn't have anything to say.  So I'm glad the sent the email, surprised actually, but I'm not sure they realize the full extent of the problem yet.

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

@scstev wrote:

Same happened to me, most recently a few days ago.  I didn't have a bad position, because I happened to check in manually when I opened the app, about 24 hours early.  However, I did receive an email today from Southwest acknowledging the problem and offering a credit to RR account for 1500 miles.

I will note that I think this problem has been off and on for at least a few months, because I have noticed that sometimes I get a notice that I've been automatically checked in and here's your boarding # and sometimes I get nothing, or even a notice that's it's 24 hours in advance and time to check in!

I mentioned it at least two months ago to an agent, who didn't have anything to say.  So I'm glad the sent the email, surprised actually, but I'm not sure they realize the full extent of the problem yet.

1500 miles credit !!! Just like give you $24 (1500 x $0.016) SW is so cheap!!!