Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A lister getting bumped back

Shawnmg211
Explorer C

So I’m flying with my 2 year old today. I’m an A-List member and both boarding passes were A group. However for what ever reason my son was put on B group. (He’s 2). Now on my first leg it was no problem, I boarded with my group (A-25) and my son in his stroller was able to board with me no problem. Now on to the next flight, same situation, got in line only to get my ticket scanned and then told to wait because my son hasn’t earned the right to board with me. WTF? I’m A-list and my 2 year should be allowed to board with me when I board. I had to wait for family boarding. Utterly ridiculous. First don’t be an ass hole to me and my son about boarding. I fly southwest a lot, second let my 2 year board WITH me since I’m A-list! 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A lister getting bumped back

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

Here's the official policy from the Southwest website:
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.41.46 AM.pngSo the Operations Agents wasn't being an a**-hole, they were simply following the Southwest policy.

My personal opinion is that A-List privileges should only apply to the passenger who earned it, not to their family, so I agree with Southwest's policy.

That said, I come from an airline background and am used to flying standby with no rights or privileges other than a free flight. Even today when I pay for my airline travel, I'm conditioned to follow the rules and not expect anything other than getting to my destination safely.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I understand your frustration, but certainly no need for the foul language here. Let's try to keep the conversation friendly. As noted in other posts, Southwest has been enforcing boarding position much more than they previously did. Ticketed passengers should board in their assigned boarding position. A passenger can move to a worse boarding position, but can not move up to a better position. Yes, you are A-List and can board in the A group, but people traveling with you, regardless of age, must board in their assigned position or utilize early or family boarding. While you were allowed to move your son up for the first flight, the policy was correctly enforced on the second flight. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I've also been completely happy with family boarding most times. You didn't mention, was your son a companion ticket, or separately booked?

For companion pass Southwest was trying out a system to allow companions to board with CP holders - I'm hopeful for an update on that soon. Maybe that would solve your situation if/when it rolls out.

If not, then I think family boarding is still pretty good. I would  also recommend to check with the gate agent ahead of time and ask about your son boarding with you - some will say yes, and some will say no (they are all entitled to say no) - then at least you avoid the situation of being denied boarding, you'd know in advance, and I think the gate agents appreciate the heads-up as opposed to just showing up in line with the B position out of order.

Edit: I though of another way to phrase this - it may be likely that 30 or more A-list people fly to MCO on any given flight, in which case EBCI will be B positions.

Two strategies that can help more than EBCI would help:

• Pick flights with 737-800 aircraft - more seats available
  • Pick flights that originate at your departure airport - no through passengers that take spots prior to boarding at your location

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Yeah I would suggest letting the airline or the agent now beforehand, especially if they are still in a stroller. Once a child turns two in the U.S they need their own ticket so they ar treated just as any other passenger or older child.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

DYKWIA ?

That may have made it all better.