Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Added Early Bird but Wasn't Checked In

laraak
Explorer C

I had added EB after purchasing my flight. I did receive a receipt/confirmation of the purchase. I thought that the system would then check me in before the 24-hour window automatically, however, I wasn't. I just manually checked in to make sure I was!

Did I misunderstand something? I did try to check in earlier, but it wouldn't let me as it was outside of the 24-hour window...

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Added Early Bird but Wasn't Checked In

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This constantly confuses people and I wish Southwest would revise the wording. When you purchase EarlyBird Check-In you are automatically assigned a boarding position 36 hours before departure. You cannot see it yet, but it's assigned. Starting at 24 hours prior to departure you can complete the check-in process. While the process looks exactly the same and doesn't seem any different with EarlyBird Check-In, your boarding position was preassigned and that's the position that appears when you complete the check-in process. This means that you can complete the check-in process 24 hours prior or 24 minutes prior to departure and you will receive the boarding position you were assigned 36 hours prior to departure. Just make sure you check-in no later than 10 minutes prior to departure.

Hopefully that clarifies how it works. What boarding position did you get? 

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

bec102896
Aviator A

Also wanted to add you will know that EB was on your ticket by looking at your boarding pass when you check in (starting at the 24 hour mark) it usually says early bird check in on a printed boarding pass as well as on the computer when checking in.

Blake

sandrajohnson
Explorer C

purchased early bird, how do I check in and when and where can the bording pass be printed?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sandrajohnson wrote:

purchased early bird, how do I check in and when and where can the bording pass be printed?

You will be automatically checked-in at T-36 hours.

However, you still have to wait until 24 hours or less prior to the flight to "retrieve" your boarding pass. You can do it anytime between 24 hours and up until you arrive at the airport and need it for security, prior to the scheduled departure.

Clarification: you can download on your PC and print at home, download to phone, have it texted to you in a link, or print at the airport when you arrive.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.