Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Adding early bird after buying tickets

mrsstats
Adventurer C

When we made our reservations a few months ago we did not add the early bird as we were not sure with Covid if we would be going or not and since the early bird is non-refundable we thought we would chance it.

However, now I am thinking with the packed flights I will be better off adding it.  But not sure where this will put us in the boarding process.

Thoughts???

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Adding early bird after buying tickets

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

That's hard to say.

It depends a lot on where you are going - las vegas, hawaii, and orlando for example carry lots of  families as well as lots of A-Listers. others not so much.

Since EB boarding positions are assigned in the order that the EB was purchased, the closer you get to the departure date, the worse your boarding position will be

So in large part  where you are going, and how close you are to your departure date will determine your fate.

mrsstats
Adventurer C

We are going to Vegas on 9/18, leaving Long Island at 430 pm

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'd go for it, adding EBCI removes any stress about having to check-in right at 24 hours prior.  Sure, you could have gotten a better position if you had purchased back when you bought the tickets, but September is still a ways off and you won't be the last to purchase EBCI.

You'll win back all your travel costs in Vegas anyways, right?

--TheMiddleSeat