Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Additional COVID-19 Safety Measures?

usa88dad
Explorer C

I anticipate a trip in the near future and would like to learn if SWA is leading when it comes to common sense measures similar to what mass retailers like WalMart are utilizing.

1.  Are FA's provided & required to wear a cloth mask to protect themselves & others from asymptomatic spread? Are customers?

2.  Is temp screening performed at the gate to ensure no one is boarding with a fever in excess of 100.4°F?

3.  Are FA's being tested for CV19 upon any known exposure and/or symptoms?  If so, is isolation mandatory?  The CDC guidelines are not adequate for mitigating risk to FA's and customers in a close proximity public environment. Hopefully SWA has worked with Public Health to obtain the new rapid testing for its front line employees who are exposed to the public.

4.  Is the gate boarding process adjusted to maintain a min. of 6' distancing?

5.  Is gate seating modified to ensure min. 6' distancing?

6.  Will SWA be offering surveillance testing to its front line public facing employees so that those who are now immune (recovered) can work with peace of mind?

7.  Will passenger seating capacity be reduced to allow for distancing as the country reopens and passenger count increases on popular routes?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Additional COVID-19 Safety Measures?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm not 100% positive, but I think there answer to all questions is no. Maybe yes to #3? 

Flight loads remain super light, meaning most flights are not crowded, thus allowing people to spread out and not cram in the gate area. You should protect yourself as best as you can with a mask and wiping down your seat area. Definitely wash your hands often before and after the flight. There is no beverage service on board to minimize interactions with crew. 

Remember, travel is still considered to be something you should only be doing if essential so if don't need to fly then you should stay home.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Additional COVID-19 Safety Measures?

jksobonya
Aviator A

You can see the complete list of Southwest COVID-19 procedures here: 

https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/?clk=CORONAVIRUS_TA&cbid=4430033

--Jessica