Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Advice on getting early bird check in

pigeon64
Explorer C

I'm flying from Chicago Midway to Baltimore on Thursday, May 3, at 10:00 a.m.  My return trip is Monday, May 7, leaving Baltimore at 3:00 p.m.  Both flights are non-stops and I'm trying to decide if I should get early bird check-in.  Any advice I can get on this topic is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Advice on getting early bird check in

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello

Because you are flying from a hub I would buy the Early Bird I say this because a lot of SW connections do go through Chicago so flights tend to be fuller and that would help your boarding position. Now it is important to note that by purchasing the EB check in there is the chance you won't get an A boarding pass but your chances are better when buying EB check in. If you were flying from somewhere like Lubbock then I would not buy EB check in unless your going with a big group as it doesn't have as many connections (only 2-3) compared to Chicago that has a ton. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

pigeon64
Explorer C

I may get the Chicago to Baltimore early bird check in and skip it for the return.  Thank you for the advice.

bdavisknightfly
Explorer C

I would also agree that getting the early bird check in from Chicago would be very smart! However, If you are traveling by yourself, then I would simply check in right at the 24 hour mark, instead. Most of the time, you can get lucky and grab that window seat right up in the front few rows, even if you are in the B or early C group. Of course, just a preference on how important seat selection is to you. Baltimore is one of the best Southwest Hubs - they are really efficient in their security and boarding process. You also have a quick flight each way, which is something to consider. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bdavisknightfly wrote:

I would also agree that getting the early bird check in from Chicago would be very smart! However, If you are traveling by yourself, then I would simply check in right at the 24 hour mark, instead. Most of the time, you can get lucky and grab that window seat right up in the front few rows, even if you are in the B or early C group. Of course, just a preference on how important seat selection is to you. Baltimore is one of the best Southwest Hubs - they are really efficient in their security and boarding process. You also have a quick flight each way, which is something to consider. 

Personally I like this approach - the variable we don't know if what is your tolerance if you did end up in a middle seat, or if you have a strong preference to sit in the fore or back of the plane. EBCI should help a little, but you could also get two Turkey and ginger cocktails instead for about the same money. MDW to BWI isn't that long of a flight, more than a hopper but not like going transcontinental.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

pigeon64
Explorer C

Thank you for the helpful advice.

pigeon64
Explorer C

I may get the early bird when I'm leaving Chicago and skip it on the way back.  Thank you for the advice.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I always get early bird check in. Having early bird check in always puts my anxiety of the dreaded middle seat to rest. With all of the frustrations that can come with flying, why not do something for yourself. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

pigeon64
Explorer C

Thank you for the advice.  I may get the early bird from Chicago to Baltimore and skip it on the way back.

bec102896
Aviator A

Did this or any other answer in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the answer(s) you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Thanks 

Blake