Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Amount of checked baggage

ahawk1ns
Explorer C

My question is this;

With Southwest, you are allowed one free checked baggage up to 50 lbs.  I am wondering how the restrictions are applied here for number of bags that you check?  I am currently planning a ski trip to Colorado and I know that my bag will weigh over 50lbs with all of my ski gear.  I was planning on paying extra for the weight limit, but I'm wondering if it will be better to just check a separate bag and pay the price for it, while still using my other "free checked bag under 50lbs" that comes offered?

Please and thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Amount of checked baggage

franktravel
Aviator B

Baggage Allowance

Southwest allows two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.

Excess Baggage

Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Sports Equipment - Baggage Allowance

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Note: Snow ski equipment will not be subject to excess size charges. However, excess weight charges may apply.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @ahawk1ns,

Great question! You are actually permitted two (2) free checked bags on Southwest Airlines. Hopefully, that will make your packing situation a little easier, but please post again if you've still got questions!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think to summarize, two bags that are under 50 lbs weight (including ski gear as one of them) would be cheaper than one overweight bag including everything since you get two free checked bags, and one of them can be ski equipment.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Note that, as posted earlier, if it's ski equipment, one bag = two bags... meaning you can actually have three separate bags. Those two bags of ski equipment need to be under 50 lbs combined.

adriandstokes
Explorer C

What is the cost for more than 2 bags?

franktravel
Aviator B

Excess Baggage

Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.