Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Any reason to purchase early bird?

rich1954
Adventurer A

With SW only filling about 75% of plane and trying to keep middle seats open is there any logical reason to pay for early bird? Seems like a couple boarding near the end would still get to sit together. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Any reason to purchase early bird?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

With SW only filling about 75% of plane and trying to keep middle seats open is there any logical reason to pay for early bird? Seems like a couple boarding near the end would still get to sit together. 

That's correct -- I suspect there's less reason to purchase it now, with planes only 2/3rds full at best. You might still want to consider it for convenience, if you'll be unable to check yourself in around t-24 for either flight.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Depends when you are traveling.  The blocking of seats is only scheduled to remain until July 31, although it could be extended.  Passenger traffic is steadily increasing so flights will become more crowded and I suspect airlines will attempt to sell as many seats as they can after we get past the seat blocking dates.  Also, blocking of middle seats actually makes it harder for two people to sit together since now you need to find an empty row versus before when having one person in the row already did not block off that row for two people.  Just some things to think about.

--TheMiddleSeat

rich1954
Adventurer A

I believe it is your option to sit in the middle. I think its a family staying together thing.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@rich1954 wrote:

I believe it is your option to sit in the middle. I think its a family staying together thing.

That's correct, there's no actual blocking of seats, just limiting the number of seats sold to not include the number of middle seats on the plane.  If someone is sitting at the window it is technically possible for a couple to sit in the remaining 2 seats, but if I were that individual at the window I would be quite upset about having to sit next to someone if I was trying to distance myself from others.  So yes, my original statement was not exactly correct, but if trying to respect social distance guidelines, then a couple who wants to sit together would need an empty row.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest is advertising empty middle seats. I don't know what the wording of the actual policy is, but I know what they are advertising. If someone tried to sit next to me right now, I would no doubt have some very choice words for them. It doesn't matter though...my employer is letting me work from home for now so no weekly commute.

JoshWithrow
Explorer C

Right now...  no way.  With 33% less passengers on each flight, overhead baggage room is plentiful.  And with every southwest seat being equal (minus the overwing, front, and back rows), there really isn't any value in Early Bird.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I wouldn't purchase early bird unless you *really* have a desire to be one of the first on the plane 😉 but since flights are not anywhere close to capacity, there's less of a need for it at this time. 

--Jessica