Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

App saves boarding pass to Google Pay

FliesOnlySWA
Explorer C

Fine... except I don't have a Google Pay account and have zero interest in setting one up... apparently this new "feature" came with the last update.  

Give users an option where to save... please.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: App saves boarding pass to Google Pay

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you have a Gmail account then you can access Google Pay. The application is standard on all Android phones and you don't need to use any of its banking or money functions in order to save boarding passes. When you do use it, it will automatically lock auto-rotate and adjust your screen to full brightness, which should help alleviate any issues with scanning.

Alternately, you can always take a screenshot of your boarding pass.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You should  be able to simply download your boarding pass to your phone's photo album - at least that's the way the app works on my android phone.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

You should  be able to simply download your boarding pass to your phone's photo album - at least that's the way the app works on my android phone.

No, not anymore. The latest version of the Southwest app changed the "Save to Phone" button so that it now saves to Google Pay. You can, however, take a screenshot as I mentioned earlier. And if you use the mobile web version of the Southwest website you'll still be prompted to "Save to Phone" which will put the mobile boarding pass into your phone's photo gallery.

From the website:

Saving on Android
Android app users (version 6.0 or higher) can check in and save their boarding pass directly to Google Pay from the app. While viewing the boarding pass on the app, tap the 'Save to Phone' button towards the top of the page. A modal will appear where a user can confirm saving the pass to Google Pay.

Mobile web users can save their mobile boarding pass to the photo gallery by tapping on the orange 'Save Image to Photos' button. Your boarding pass will display in a pop up. From there, follow the directions to tap and hold on the image, saving the mobile boarding pass to your photo gallery.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Download to pic album on phone worked fine a week ago today - my last flight.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Download to pic album on phone worked fine a week ago today - my last flight.

Ok. You're probably on an older version of the app. 😉

At some point however, that will change and you'll see what we're talking about.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, I just checked in for my next flight, and the updated app still lets me save my boarding pass to my photo album. I can tell it's the updated app because it also lets me save to Google Pay, which was not the case in the past.

On the right side of the line immediately above the google pay button is a camera button. Click on the camera button to save your boarding pass to your photo album. 

I just did it.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Well, I just checked in for my next flight, and the updated app still lets me save my boarding pass to my photo album. I can tell it's the updated app because it also lets me save to Google Pay, which was not the case in the past.

On the right side of the line immediately above the google pay button is a camera button. Click on the camera button to save your boarding pass to your photo album. 

I just did it.

Excellent, that's great news for those not wishing to use Google Pay to save their BPs!

Can you tell us what version of the app you're using, and also what phone? I'm not seeing that on mine (App 5.4.50, Moto Z2). I'm wondering if it's a phone-specific feature.

Be sure to turn your brightness to full and auto-rotate "off" before you board if do use the photo album method (this is done automatically if you use Google Pay).

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm alo running app version 5.4.50. Phone is an android  LG G5.

Same version apps should appear the same on every android phone.

Top line on my phone shows the words boarding pass. Right of that is a  paper  airplane  button I'd use to send the boarding pass to someone. Right of that is the camera button that I use to save to my photo album

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Does the camera icon take a screenshot?

What happens when you select the "paper airplane" button? Does it access your email?