Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: App saves boarding pass to Google Pay

dfwskier
Aviator A

"Does the camera icon take a screenshot?"

I presume that's what it is doing. It looks the same as every other boarding pass that I've saved to my phone.

"What happens when you select the "paper airplane" button? Does it access your email?"

Since I've not used it I don't know for sure. W hen viewing a pic  from the album, it allows one to send the pic as an e-mail, or a txt. There are several options.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Ok, my flight today has already departed (arrived actually) so I can't recheck on my phone. Glad it's working in a way that works for you.

Apps will often access the phone's built-in functions for specific tasks (camera especially), which is why I suggested what you're seeing might be phone-specific.

I'd still recommend the use of Google Pay to save boarding passes, since it includes automatic functions that make the process easier, and scanning less prone to delay. For example, when I arrived at the airport Google Pay automatically alerted me that my boarding pass was available for use. Yay technology! 😉

WZiel-SWC
Explorer A

Hey CHGOFLYER,

I liked the fact that I could save the boarding pass format to a third party app. When they updated this the last few weeks I can no longer do it. (I run stock google Pixel XL) and the google pay does nothing for me. In fact now if I save it to google pay I have to dig for my boarding pass.  The third party app let me find the boarding pass when launched, stayed on my screen when locked and set the birghness to the highest.  (PassAndroid).

I have done the picture from the southwest app and that is a hassle to find in the 1,000s of pictures i have on my phone.

Right now my "alternative" is to email it to myself and then open the pkpass file up from the email to 'import" it into my (PassAndroid).  Where as saving it as PKPass would be better.

The southwest app sucks as many times if you do not pull up the Boarding pass seconds before you get to the gate it has to "refresh" and last time I had to kill the Southwest App and realuanch it to pull up the boarding pass.  I like the boarding notification but for the boarding pass view Southwests app has a bit of a ways to go to before I can use it as primary.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@WZiel-SWC wrote:

Hey CHGOFLYER,

I liked the fact that I could save the boarding pass format to a third party app. When they updated this the last few weeks I can no longer do it. (I run stock google Pixel XL) and the google pay does nothing for me. In fact now if I save it to google pay I have to dig for my boarding pass.  The third party app let me find the boarding pass when launched, stayed on my screen when locked and set the birghness to the highest.  (PassAndroid).

I have done the picture from the southwest app and that is a hassle to find in the 1,000s of pictures i have on my phone.

Right now my "alternative" is to email it to myself and then open the pkpass file up from the email to 'import" it into my (PassAndroid).  Where as saving it as PKPass would be better.

The southwest app sucks as many times if you do not pull up the Boarding pass seconds before you get to the gate it has to "refresh" and last time I had to kill the Southwest App and realuanch it to pull up the boarding pass.  I like the boarding notification but for the boarding pass view Southwests app has a bit of a ways to go to before I can use it as primary.

You might want to check your Google Pay settings and permissions. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you... but if you save the mobile boarding pass to Google Pay, it should automatically show up by default when you launch Google Pay. (At a minimum. For me, it shows up automatically when I reach the airport, and when pulled up locks auto-rotate and sets the screen brightness to max.) Good luck!

WZiel-SWC
Explorer A

No still not showing. I now have a bunch of boarding passes in my Google pay. Other apps notice I am at the airport but never the mobile boarding pass

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm not sure I'm understanding what the issue is for you.

For me, when I arrive at the airport I get a notification that I can tap that immediately calls up the boarding pass.

If, for some reason that isn't working, I just tap on Google Pay, and the boarding pass is shown by default.

If you had to do the entire process manually, it would involve a total of three clicks: Google Pay, Passes (icon on the bottom of the screen), and then the boarding pass from the list (at the top, since they are shown from most recent to oldest). 

Once displayed, Google Pay sets the screen brightness to full and locks auto-rotate. (If everyone using mobile boarding passes did these two things I suspect it would speed up boarding.)

FYI: To delete a boarding pass, just tap the menu in the upper right hand corner, and select Remove.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have the most current version of Southwest's app on my phone and I can save the pass to my photo album by hitting the "camera icon" which is just above and to the right of the google pay icon

milesf
Explorer C

I also have zero interest in setting up a Google Pay account, and neither want to bloat my phone with yet another unnecessary single-use app. The SWA app eats another 65 MB of storage space.

All I want is a direct link to my boarding pass QR codes. Other airlines provide these without forcing you to download their app.

The best workaround I found is to navigate to southwest.com via mobile browser and lookup boarding passes via confirmation number.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@milesf wrote:

All I want is a direct link to my boarding pass QR codes. Other airlines provide these without forcing you to download their app.

You can always text your boarding pass to your phone or send it via e-mail

Explorer C

Today I tried to retrieve my boarding pass and the text option forced me to Google Pay.  The former e-mail option is not longer available...just text. I have not tried to e-mail the text message but I suspect it will have the same Google Pay lock-up.  I have no Google accounts, I want nothing to do with Google, and I don't want apps that track my privacy. 

Is Southwest skimming revenue through a relationship with Google? Don't go there, SWA!!