Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Are southwest restrictions on carry ons strict in the dimension or can be measured in linear dimen.

nywst
Explorer C

I beleive (I vaguley remmeber in the past dealing with this) some airlines carry on size can be measured using a linear some of the length width and height. For example if the limit is 50 inches then as long as the L+W+H of your carry on is under 50 then it is ok.

Is this the case for southwest?

Southwest's website states that a max size for a carry on is  24x16x10. My carry on would be 22X18x7.

Though my width is two inches over, my length is 2 inches under and my depth is 3 inches under.

The linear sum of my item is 47 whereas the linear sum of southwest's dimensions is 50.

Do you think I could bring my item as a carry on? It cannot be checked because the item in question cannot be at such low temperatures. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Are southwest restrictions on carry ons strict in the dimension or can be measured in linear dim

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If you ask the airline, the official response will be that your carry on cannot exceed 24x16x10. Linear dimension would not apply.

You are on a customer forum so we can give a guess as to what the airline really does, in my case based on hundreds of Southwest flights. I have never seen Southwest use the "baggage  sizers" that are at every gate. I have frequently seen passengers carry on bags from slightly over the limit to way over the limit.

So based on personal experience, my opinion is that you'll be fine if your carry on is 2 inches over on one the   three dimensions, Southwest isn't Spirit or Frontier which likely would ding you for the 2 inches.

Happy Thanksgiving.