Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Atlanta Layover Time

kfenerty1
Explorer C

Good morning, 

I am looking to book a flight from Nashville to Jackson, and it has a 40 minute layover to change planes in Atlanta. It's been years since I have flown into or out of Atlanta, but I remember it being a pretty large airport. 40 minutes seems tight; will this be enough time? Do all southwest flights fly into and out of the same terminal?

Thanks, 

Katie

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Atlanta Layover Time

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest would not sell a flight if you couldn't make the connection.  You may not make it for the start of boarding, but you should have no problem catching the flight.  I'll let others chime in about gate locations, but in almost every airport Southwest operates their gate are all together in one area, not spread out over multiple terminals.

--TheMiddleSeat

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest pretty much exclusively utilizes Terminal C at Atlanta for domestic flights, I can't say how far between gates you will have to walk but you won't have to get on the inter-terminal train, also as noted above they will only sell you a connecting flight if they believe you and your baggage can make the connection.

Safe Travels

dfwskier
Aviator A

As said earlier, assuming your flight in to Atlanta is close to on time, you will have no problem making your connection.

If you are concerned about it though, just take a seat as near the front of the flight to Atlanta as you can. Getting off the airplane early should make it easier to be able to use your assigned boarding position. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Southwest pretty much exclusively utilizes Terminal C at Atlanta for domestic flights, I can't say how far between gates you will have to walk but you won't have to get on the inter-terminal train, also as noted above they will only sell you a connecting flight if they believe you and your baggage can make the connection.

Safe Travels

Unless they have to drop off at the international terminal all domestic flights would be Concourse C.

I recommend that you check the equivalent connections today to get a feel for it - of course gates change due to conditions all the time - but for instance if the connection was today, or the next weekday with the same schedule, etc. - then what would be the gates and you should see that you probably have time to even use the restroom if you need to, hit the coffee shop or get a chicken sandwich or chili dog. (Both of these in the center of of the C concourse)

Otherwise plan to use the airplane lavatory about 25 minutes before landing at ATL and you'll be fresh and ready to sprint out of there. 

If you are delayed from Nashville, ask the FA to do you a favor and see if they'll hold off the horde for you to get out first. They'll do this if your 30 minute layover has evaporated down to 15 minutes due to a late arrival in ATL.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I've had several 35min connections in ATL and as long as my 1st flight isn't late I've made it everytime. The longest walk I've made on SW is from C3 to C25 no train or terminal changes unlike other airlines in ATL 

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

jackson ms?