Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BAGGAGE TAMPERING

Dejerea
Explorer B

Southwest Airlines employees attempted to break into my luggage, damaged it and are now REFUSING to take responsibility. They are saying my luggage was given to them damaged and I’m 2000% sure it was not. I’ve asked them to view the CAMERAS and they are refusing to do so. Instead they are thanking me for being a Southwest member. Anyone experience anything like this? Any advice on how to get them to view the footage? 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: BAGGAGE TAMPERING

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

How do you know it wasn't TSA, the people that actually inspect baggage? Take a breath and start there as they are the most logical culprit. 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

--TheMiddleSeat

Dejerea
Explorer B

I don’t think TSA would attempt to break off my lock as they have a TSA key. 

Dejerea
Explorer B

35BEEC89-296D-439E-81B1-58D221B841DE.jpeg

7200C9B6-6635-4F99-B7CE-580977266B3C.jpeg

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Within 4 hours file a claim at the airport. Looks like it fell off a cart, not "tampering". 

--TheMiddleSeat

Dejerea
Explorer B

Look at the actual lock. It looks like someone tried to get into it. Also, I did file a claim and they said southwest isn’t liable because I checked the bag in damaged which isn’t true. This is why I am asking them to review the footage to which they are declining. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Perhaps snagged on something. Clearly you think the worst, good luck.

--TheMiddleSeat

Dejerea
Explorer B

I just know this is a durable bag! There’s no way a “snag” did that to my bag. And then also just a dent from falling? My bag wasn’t that heavy.

BAGGAGE TAMPERING

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

so very sorry, sometime i buy luggage at destination as souvenir to

cut in half risk of issue. At least no departure bag stress. 

domveenine
Adventurer A

Former TSA here. 

Those bags are absolutely the WORST bags to use as check-in bags. This is because the conveyor lines have doors that swing back and forth to sort bags. When these guys get caught by one of the doors, the door doesn't stop and will crush it, and a lot of times they get stuck causing a complete shut down of that part of the conveyor line. 

These types of bags are perfect for loading on the top of your vehicle for a road trip because they're mostly weather resistant. They're also perfect as smaller carry-ons. But due to their bulky and rigid edges, they tend to cause problems for the customer and the TSA agents that have to dislodge your bag from the lines. 

Although they can be great because they're durable and they tend to protect your shampoos and soaps from being crushed, you risk having something like this happen. To add to it, they're not inexpensive either. 

As far as the cameras go, most airport employees don't have access to footage because they are monitored by surveillance and will only be used for major issues related to injury, death, dismemberment, and imminent safety violations.

I empathize with your frustrations and hope that you get it sorted out but please don't assume that an airline employee was the cause of the issue without reasonable suspicion.  

-You're Now Free To Move About The Country