Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage Allowance

Anjistar
Explorer C

Hello,

We're travelling across the US on two flights with Southwest as part of a round the world trip and it's a nightmare trying to co-ordinate all the various baggage limits!

Two questions:

I may be being dense but I can't find any indication of the checked baggage allowance weight/size on the SOuthwest web site or community.

There are plenty of warnings that limitations may apply, but no actual measurements.

Anyone know the answer?

And secondly, if it's only 23kg per person, can you purchase increments? All I can see is $75 for excess baggage, which seems excessive if we just want to upgrade 7kg to the 30kg that a previous flight is giving us.

Many thanks

Angie

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Baggage Allowance

franktravel
Aviator B

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Anjistar

Welcome to the Southwest Airlines Community! @franktravel provided the link to the baggage information your are seeking, but I wanted to provide some more clarity around the charge for excess baggage. In short, you cannot purchase increments for your overweight baggage. If your bag is over the allowance of 50 lbs, it would be subject to the excess baggage charge. Here is the weight and size allowance for checked bags, as stated on Southwest.com

Weight and Size Allowance:

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs.  Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

I hope this helps answer your question. Enjoy your trip!

Ashley
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community

Anjistar
Explorer C

Thank you very much, people, all clear now!