Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage experience from HELL

Benhill384
Explorer A

I wanted to share my experience for those who may be dealing with the same things as well. In late January, after nearly a year of no travel after a bout with cancer, I was excited to make a trip to Denver for a friends 30th birthday dinner and a lunch interview. My bag was lost (I understand people make mistakes, so do I) and I completely missed the birthday dinner I'd traveled all that way for. Further, my bag was not recovered overnight and I was forced to spend over $400 for clothes to wear to my interview (which I've yet to be reimbursed for), as well as uber rides, and an entire morning lost to replacing items. Here we are a month later, still NO BAG. I have been nothing short of polite, gracious and patient until two days ago when i received a message through the portal (30 days later) that we could not reach a settlement at this time because I had not provided receipts. Southwest HAS MY ITEMIZED LIST THAT I WAS TOLD TO MAKE. I spent days compiling this list trying to determine what exactly I had packed in this suitcase which was FULL to the brim (and upon checking their records they could see I was nearly at the weight limit). Some of these items were very costly. Since agent Amber's response, i've been able to recover some receipts for maybe a fraction of the items. But let me ask- how many people save receipts for IN STORE purchases that they have no intention of returning? The AUDACITY to question my integrity after RUINING my first trip in a year is absolutely baffling. It shouldn't matter if I claimed at POT OF GOLD in that bag. The inconvencience, financial burden of replacement, and time spent replacing the items should be enough alone to reimburse for the full amount of the insured bag. This has been the absolute WORST experience in customer service I could ever imagine. I have spent HOURS on the phone (documented) being passed along to other agents- telling me that this is protocol. In my own life and career, I cannot imagine damaging or losing someones property and not IMMEDIATELY trying to make it right without question or doubt. I should be reimbursed for the lost luggage, the items of sustinance, and the whole trip for that matter as it was a complete WASH. DO THE RIGHT THING SOUTHWEST. Signed, OUTRAGED in Mississippi.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Baggage experience from HELL

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While it's not ideal, I don't see this being handled differently on any other airline.  Since this is a customer to customer forum you may want to direct your comments directly to Southwest.  Use the contact link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

Benhill384
Explorer A

Thank you for your response.

My claim was filed nearly 30 days ago with sporadic communication. I have spent 30+ minutes on hold daily. 

bec102896
Aviator A

You could always take pictures of receipts that way you don't have to save them or some companies allow you to email the receipt to yourself I know that doesn't help with this but maybe it would help should it ever happen again. 

If you bought your clothes with a credit card maybe go back to that statement. If you bought clothes under a rewards program where you enter your phone number/ email at check out maybe ask the company if they can get you a copy of your receipt. 

Unfortunately they probably won't cover your uber rides since they got you to your destination. 

They need receipts as proof because otherwise people would abuse the process and airlines would be in trouble. 

Hopefully they can help you settle for something I know lost bags are not fun I've had several myself 

-Blake

Benhill384
Explorer A

Blake, thank you for your response.

Several of these items were gifts. I have since recovered several receipts. Am continuing to scour credit card bank statements.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Benhill384 wrote:

My bag was lost (I understand people make mistakes, so do I) and I completely missed the birthday dinner I'd traveled all that way for. 

I'm not understanding this part. You still made it to your destination, so how could you have missed the dinner? Did you arrive the day of the dinner and not have anything to change into? I could *maybe* understand that, but unless it was a super fancy place and you were wearing sweats, I don't think anyone would have cared what you were wearing. If you arrived the day before, that may have been enough time to buy a new top or pants to get through the day - but I can understand the cost.

As much as I love SWA, I still tend to carry-on my bags lately, especially since the pandemic hit. It's one less thing to worry about, and one less congested area to deal with (baggage claim). 

--Jessica

Benhill384
Explorer A

Jessica,

I spent 2 hours in baggage claim after an already delayed flight. And in fact, the dinner was at the Four Seasons, and in fact, I was wearing sweats. So while I appreciate your response, I see no value at all in your opinion of my experience.

aMomTo6
Adventurer B

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It's likely that very few here, if any,  know what it's like to lose everything on your way to a very special event. Well, I hear you! I was in the same boat Jan 10th in Denver when my luggage was lost and never recovered.  I was on my way to my son's wedding! It's sickening when you're standing there in the middle of the airport with only the clothes on your person. I'm in the claim process too now.  And your story has me really worried! I, too, didn't have receipts for clothing I bought a year ago or even months ago.  

I was less than impressed with SWA's assistance for sure.  I'm also finding it interesting that we both had this happen in Denver. Thanks for sharing.  I'll be praying that you get some positive resolution.