Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Best seat for working on laptop

Whoffmann
Explorer C

Hi everyone! I need to work on a laptop during an upcoming flight. The extra wrinkle is Im a bit chubby so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what seats and tray tables (down from the seat ahead of you vs the ones that live in the armrest) would be best in this scenario. 

Thanks much and happy thanksgiving if youre celebrating!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Best seat for working on laptop

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Other than the first row you're not going to find much difference among the seats on a Southwest plane.  First row tray tables come out of the seat, all others are the standard seatback tray table.  You could try to get the emergency exit "middle" seat that does not have a window seat next to it.  That would allow you a little more breathing room, but no different than any other aisle seat.  The infinite leg room seat, window seat in the next row back, does not have a seat in front of it so that's probably the one seat that would not work for you.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Best seat for working on laptop

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Whoffmann wrote:

Hi everyone! I need to work on a laptop during an upcoming flight. The extra wrinkle is Im a bit chubby so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what seats and tray tables (down from the seat ahead of you vs the ones that live in the armrest) would be best in this scenario. 

Thanks much and happy thanksgiving if youre celebrating!

100% look for the exit row, and not just any exit row but you can see the markings on the floor for the space that must be kept clear and you are looking for the one that's wider than the other ones.

The infinite legroom seat I believe does have a tray table in the armrest but I'm not sure if it is big-boy sized, the bulkhead rows up front do not have tray tables - so if you need room plus a tray table, then I'd say exit row with the extra space as marked on the floor. If you don't need the tray table, then the bulkhead (front) row would be roomy.

I'm in this situation myself and my main thought is that I don't want to use my laptop on flights if possible until I drop a few, I'm focusing on using my IPad or catching up on reading on my kindle.

Next best idea is that if you grab the row behind the exit row at least you know the person won't be reclining into you, that's also helpful for a tight space.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.