Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bicycles not welcome!

Bikerb2003
Explorer C

I have an upcoming flight in late October, and just learned this morning that Southwest has changed there dimension limitation restrictions for transporting a bicycle. I have had the same hard shell bicycle suitcase for the better part of thirty years, and have never had any issues about checking it in. Turns out that Southwest has reduced the size of the limit allowed to 80 inches maximum. 

A hard shell bicycle case measures in at 85 inches, and for those of you who are unaware, these cases are one size only. I have also in the past flown into one destination and out from another which for that packed the bike in a cardboard box designed for bicycles that measure in much larger than the hard shell case, and never had a problem checking that in either. 

What has me scratching my head even more is your can check in a ten foot kayak or surfboard with no weight or size restrictions, so some one tell me how that is fair.

Bottom line to Southwest, if you don't want to make the maximum dimensions big enough for us cyclists to bring our bicycle along, and let's not forget the extra seventy dollars you charge us for be over sized, then it should just read in your baggage restrictions, 

bicycles not welcome!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Bicycles not welcome!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yeah, it's been mentioned previously that the bicycle policy is less than ideal.  Since we're customers like you and no one here has any ability to change anything your best is to submit your comments directly to Southwest so those that can make changes are aware of your thoughts.

Go to Contact Us at the bottom of this page and use the send a message option.

--TheMiddleSeat 

Bikerb2003
Explorer C

Thanks for the tip, I will Email them directly. Cyclists need to be aware of this change because like I mentioned no bicycle box, hard shell or cardboard is within there new size requirement. 

Just read about a couple that arrived for there flight with the same boxes they used on a flight in May and were turned away by Southwest, and I would hate to see this happen to anyone else, that is why I posted on this community site.

nickklos
Explorer C

I travel for business. 50-70 flights a year. Been doing this for 13 years. I only fly southwest airlines. I have Loved southwest airlines since I started flying with them like 6-7 years ago. And it hurts me to say this but I have to dump southwest. 

I started racing BMX with my 7 year son a year ago. Im 55. Best thing ive done. Lost 70lbs. My health has become excellent now. And the times with my boy are priceless. 

I bring a 20 inch wheel. 19lb bike with me while I travel for business. I break it down amd pack it in a soft padded bag designed for bmx bikes. 

When I travel with 2 check bags with tools I understand there is an extra charge for the third bag. 75 bucks. But they try and charge me up to 150 dollars for the bike bag. Even though it is under 50lbs and under the limit of the size for golf clubs. And they say, golfing is sports equipement. This is a bicycle.

See that freakin infuriates me. The next guy walks up with skis 6ft long or a huge snowboard. Oh ya, thats all sports equipment.

BMX is a world wide sport, and in the olympics. 

If I dont have tools with me. And I go to check my bike bag they ask what it is. If i say golf clubs. Free. If i say bicycle. 125 dollars. Each way. A guy walks up with a huge golf bag. Way bigger than mine. Free. 6ft skis free, snow board free, even a freakin kayak. Free. 

So what. Are all the executives at southwest airlines golfers. So they descriminate against any sport they do not participate in or support. 

What does it matter if there is 2 cinder blocks in my bag. Under 50 pounds. Oh, they would probably say thats a world cinder block tossing sport. Free. Bicycle 125 dollars. 

Bye southwest airlines. Im sick of it. Im sure other airlines like customers that fly 50 to 70 times a year.

floridaguy
Aviator C

As a Southwest customer and shareholder, someone who stays within the size and weight limits of bags, I would prefer that Southwest refuse to load anything other than baggage.  All of this slows down the boarding process and adds to the cost of doing business.

Southwest never agreed to be part of your exercise regiment and you can ship your bike though other channels if that is critical to your life.  I would be in favor of Southwest stopping all items that are not baggage.  

Refer all of those people to a freight shipper.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

As a Southwest customer and shareholder, someone who stays within the size and weight limits of bags, I would prefer that Southwest refuse to load anything other than baggage.  All of this slows down the boarding process and adds to the cost of doing business.

Southwest never agreed to be part of your exercise regiment and you can ship your bike though other channels if that is critical to your life.  I would be in favor of Southwest stopping all items that are not baggage.  

Refer all of those people to a freight shipper.  

Maybe someone with 50 years of cargo experience:

Air Cargo by Southwest Airlines-Same Day Cargo and Freight (swacargo.com)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@nickklos wrote:

I travel for business. 50-70 flights a year. Been doing this for 13 years. I only fly southwest airlines. I have Loved southwest airlines since I started flying with them like 6-7 years ago. And it hurts me to say this but I have to dump southwest. 

I started racing BMX with my 7 year son a year ago. Im 55. Best thing ive done. Lost 70lbs. My health has become excellent now. And the times with my boy are priceless. 

I bring a 20 inch wheel. 19lb bike with me while I travel for business. I break it down amd pack it in a soft padded bag designed for bmx bikes. 

When I travel with 2 check bags with tools I understand there is an extra charge for the third bag. 75 bucks. But they try and charge me up to 150 dollars for the bike bag. Even though it is under 50lbs and under the limit of the size for golf clubs. And they say, golfing is sports equipement. This is a bicycle.

See that freakin infuriates me. The next guy walks up with skis 6ft long or a huge snowboard. Oh ya, thats all sports equipment.

BMX is a world wide sport, and in the olympics. 

If I dont have tools with me. And I go to check my bike bag they ask what it is. If i say golf clubs. Free. If i say bicycle. 125 dollars. Each way. A guy walks up with a huge golf bag. Way bigger than mine. Free. 6ft skis free, snow board free, even a freakin kayak. Free. 

So what. Are all the executives at southwest airlines golfers. So they descriminate against any sport they do not participate in or support. 

What does it matter if there is 2 cinder blocks in my bag. Under 50 pounds. Oh, they would probably say thats a world cinder block tossing sport. Free. Bicycle 125 dollars. 

Bye southwest airlines. Im sick of it. Im sure other airlines like customers that fly 50 to 70 times a year.

Hello!

Just to clarify, Southwest's policy on sports equipment (bicycles included) may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free checked baggage allowance for you at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis.

Southwest now charges $125 for a third checked bag for a passenger with a couple of exceptions. It looks like you're trying to check your bike in addition to the two free checked bags. Correct?

Are you sure that the other people you see who are checking their sports equipment are also checking two bags in addition to their belongings? If they're checking 0-1 bags and the size of their sports equipment is within Southwest limitations of 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), transport of the package would be included. Also be mindful that some of the bags that customers are carrying while waiting in the check-in line may also be their carry on's; thus it may be easy to think that one is checking many things when in fact they're only checking their two items and bringing the rest as their carry-on and personal items.

I don't have a definitive answer as to the reason of the steep price increase from $75 to $125 for a third checked bag but I assume that it is linked to inflation in air freight transportation.

Still, I believe Southwest in my opinion still has the best baggage transportation policies around of all the economy airlines. Would you be able to consolidate your bags and travel with:

• 1 Carry On + 1 Personal Bag with your Clothing/Toiletries?
  • 1 Checked Bag with your Tools + Extras?
  • Your BMX Bike Bag within the Size/Weight Limits?

If not and if you're flying solo, I would have your bike shipped separately in advance going forward.