Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding Pass

Carneypatrick
Explorer C

Just wondering why the gate agents stopped taking the boarding pass after it was read by the bar code scanner. It would be great if they had a barrel to dispose the boarding pass afterwards.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Boarding Pass

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I think that has been the norm for some time, and I would always recommend hanging onto the boarding pass through the flight anyway. There are a few reasons:

1) If anything weird happens with weather or other irregular operations, having your conf # handy is helpful if you need to reach out for help via phone, Twitter, or the new Live Chat thru the SW app!

2) In the off chance anything were to happen to your bag, you have your conf number handy. 

The best option is to go mobile, and save some trees along the way!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morning.

The airline knows there was a boarding pass becaue it was scanned so there's no need for the airline to keep the piece of paper.

Many people don't use paper boarding passes now, but it might be nice to have a trash can net to the gate door for people to dispose of passes. Absent that, you can gring it on board and give it to a flight attendent for disposal.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Carneypatrick wrote:

Just wondering why the gate agents stopped taking the boarding pass after it was read by the bar code scanner. It would be great if they had a barrel to dispose the boarding pass afterwards.

Clean paper products on-board can be recycled, give it to the FA once you are settled.

I second the opinion that you might as well hold onto it through the end of your flight though. 

Why they stopped taking it - some business travelers need it as proof that they actually traveled, and they didn't need it for any purpose I think it was collected mainly for convenience of not having pieces of paper litter the airplane more than any operational cross-check. Also in the rare occasion that a flight would be boarded and then be delayed in a way that everyone was sent back to the concourse, no one would have boarding passes. And it was obviously not necessary with so many people using electronic passes anyway.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.