Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Boarding Personnell Powertrip

New Arrival

Just had one of the worst experiences of my life with southwest!  Was boarding a flight from Denver to Oakland and had the unfortunate pleasure of having Leticia (wouldn’t give me last name) oversee boarding.  When boarding I had a small purse (3”x6”) and she rudely told me to put the bag into my backpack. I pulled over to put the bag into the other and she told me that I couldn’t stand there to adjust. She then went further and called her supervisor over to basically just make a mockery of me. It felt as if she was on a powertrip and wanted to take out her authority over me. I cannot that I experienced such rude behavior from a southwest employee. Being a longtime customer of southwest this definitely makes me saddened that I had to go through such an event which was surely not deserved. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Boarding Personnell Powertrip

Top Contributor

Sorry to hear about your incident.

 

Perhaps you would iike to let the airline's customer service people hear about it? If so, click on "contact us" at the bottom of this page and select e-mail from the top left of the ensuing page.

 

Since this is a customer to customer forum, you probably won;t get resolution here.

 

Be sure to include the employee's name as well as date, flight number and departure and destination cities.

Highlighted

Re: Boarding Personnell Powertrip

Top Contributor

@laurenlacey223 wrote:

Just had one of the worst experiences of my life with southwest!  Was boarding a flight from Denver to Oakland and had the unfortunate pleasure of having Leticia (wouldn’t give me last name) oversee boarding.  When boarding I had a small purse (3”x6”) and she rudely told me to put the bag into my backpack. I pulled over to put the bag into the other and she told me that I couldn’t stand there to adjust. She then went further and called her supervisor over to basically just make a mockery of me. It felt as if she was on a powertrip and wanted to take out her authority over me. I cannot that I experienced such rude behavior from a southwest employee. Being a longtime customer of southwest this definitely makes me saddened that I had to go through such an event which was surely not deserved. 


If you had three items (even if one of them is 3" by 6" I suppose) then it has to be condensed down to two items per FAA rules.

 

But Southwest prides itself on customer service and this sounds like it was not the "Southwest Way" to notify a passenger of the need to consolidate their items. I'm sure this was an aberration in terms of how this would be handled in the future.

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

Re: Boarding Personnell Powertrip

Active Member


If you had three items (even if one of them is 3" by 6" I suppose) then it has to be condensed down to two items per FAA rules.

 

But Southwest prides itself on customer service and this sounds like it was not the "Southwest Way" to notify a passenger of the need to consolidate their items. I'm sure this was an aberration in terms of how this would be handled in the future.

 

 


Im pretty sure its an airline requirement, not an FAA one.  The FAA does not care how much you carry on, only that it meets size requirements.

Highlighted

Re: Boarding Personnell Powertrip

Top Contributor

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Im pretty sure its an airline requirement, not an FAA one.  The FAA does not care how much you carry on, only that it meets size requirements.


Southwest is responsible to implement the rule..

 

Thiis website isn’t direct from the FAA, but it is what I’ve heard elsewhere.

 

https://www.luggagepros.com/travel/carry-on.shtml

 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

Re: Boarding Personnell Powertrip

Active Member

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Im pretty sure its an airline requirement, not an FAA one.  The FAA does not care how much you carry on, only that it meets size requirements.


Southwest is responsible to implement the rule..

 

Thiis website isn’t direct from the FAA, but it is what I’ve heard elsewhere.

 

https://www.luggagepros.com/travel/carry-on.shtml

 

 

 

 


I didnt see that in the FARs and the FAA webpage says its up to the carrier...

 

https://www.faa.gov/travelers/prepare_fly/baggage/

Highlighted

Re: Boarding Personnell Powertrip

Top Contributor

@spacecoastbill wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Im pretty sure its an airline requirement, not an FAA one.  The FAA does not care how much you carry on, only that it meets size requirements.


Southwest is responsible to implement the rule..

 

Thiis website isn’t direct from the FAA, but it is what I’ve heard elsewhere.

 

https://www.luggagepros.com/travel/carry-on.shtml

 

 

 

 


I didnt see that in the FARs and the FAA webpage says its up to the carrier...

 

https://www.faa.gov/travelers/prepare_fly/baggage/


I interpreted that on the FAA website to mean check ahead in case the airline has more restrictive rules and/or fees. I can't find any citation on FAA.gov that specifies this so perhaps the other articles were out of date.

 

I'm still suspcious that all major carriers have the same personal item + carry-on item rules, but I suppose the industry could have converged on that being the best for everyone.

 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.