Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding Pre-Boarding

BigRob68
Explorer C

I know there are other threads about Boarding and the Pre-Boarding idiocy that are taking place.   I am an A list, at one point that was a big deal.  Now I pay extra/use points to "upgrade" so I can...errr thought I could have a chance to get the emergency row seats.   I am 6'8" and obviously do not fit in the standard seats.  My wife and I have played by the rules and pay the money to give us a shot to get to those rows.   The last dozen flights I have been on, most recently yesterday form Fort Myer to Baltimore to Columbus (BTW thanks SW canceling our direct flights and making our original travel day 2.5hr to a 10.5hr day - thanks to both flights being delayed...shocker, SW airline delays - that rant over) I have watched numerous people just walk on.   One guy was a little smaller in height to me and took one of the emergency row seats?   So, do I tell the gate agent I'm 6'8" and want pre-board?  How in the world does he get to PB?  I'll take PB, save me a heck of lot of money with you.  We are seriously considering cancelling our SW card and switching to Delta.   Your airline, customer service and treatment of those that are supporting you have become disgusted in how you take advantage.  Trust me, it was the discussion in the lines yesterday.    As a company....DO BETTER!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Boarding Pre-Boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well if it was a pre boarder that headed to the exit row, you should have told the FA. Only physically able people are allowed to sit in the exit row, and by definition someone who pre boards is no physically able. They are prohibited from sitting in the exit row.

As far as the credit card goes, you don't harm SW in the slightest by cancelling the card - Chase maybe but not Southwest.

All airlines Passengers are beating up all airlines- it's not just a SW phenomenan Delta, too.

I was reminded that Southwest is normally a pretty good deal when I booked a United Flight last week . The fares were about the same but United wanted $68 more for a middle of the plane seat (I'm 1K so I didn't have to pay). Of course for most people the choice would be a seat at the back of the bus or $68.

And then there are the bag fees ...

BigRob68
Explorer C

Good points and did think about reporting to the agent.   Will next time if it happens again.  Thanks for the input.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

BigRob69 said: "One guy was a little smaller in height to me and took one of the emergency row seats?" 

Uh...so?  The exit row is not reserved for tall customers.  I am 5'2" and sit in exit row seats 90% of the time.  I will not give up my seat due to your body size.

BigRob69 said: "So, do I tell the gate agent I'm 6'8" and want pre-board?"

Pre-boarding customers aren't supposed to sit in the exit row, so that isn't going to help you.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

I preboard on EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT as it is my right under the Air Carrier Access Act.  Under the law, I can do back flips and acrobatics all the way to the gate and then "self identify" as a person with a disability and I preboard.

You need to get over the preboard people.  It happens on every flight, but with Southwest it is their mess by having unassigned seats.

I have read the Act many times.  There is no provision for restricting passengers, other than the exit row issue.  However, the Act does not specific any time limits for a passenger who "self identifies" as a person with a disability.

That same person can "self identify" and then withdraw their claim after they walk onto the plane.  That is their right.

Fly another airline.  This constant complaining about preboarding gets old.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have reported your hostile and inappropriate comments to the moderator.

I have asked you to be banned from this board.

BigRob68
Explorer C

No issues being banned.  Found out what I needed to know and 99.8% of the other SW customers started to realize.   People like you out there do exist.   Love it.  

bec102896
Aviator A

Might be a good time to review the Community User Guidelines 

@cheyenneallgood 

cheyenneallgood
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the tag, @bec102896

This conversation does appear to have gotten heated and I'll be turning off the commenting functionality. While this is a Customer-to-Customer forum we do ask that you keep our Community Guidelines when engaging in the forum. 

Thanks,

Cheyenne