Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding from both doors in Long Beach

McSmooth
Explorer C

On Monday, June 5 we were flying home from Long Beach.  No announcement was made that they would be boarding from both front and rear doors.

We had an early B group spot in line.  After getting in line on the ramp at the front door, we notice the staircase at the rear door.  So everyone in line behind us is running to the rear door.

We were the last 6-8 people on the plane.  What's the point of checking in 24 hours before the flight, or even purchasing early bird?  Even if we were in late A-group, it woudn't have made any difference.

My wife and I were separated and in middle seats.  This never happens with a normal boarding procedure and an early B group.  We've flown Southwest dozens of times and know this is the case.

The flight wasn't delayed so there was no reason to board from both doors.  In fact, we were held on the runway for 20 minutes due to weather at the destination.

This is a terrible idea with the open seating policy.  

With each flight on Southwest, we are finding that spending a little more on United or Delta is worth the price.

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Boarding from both doors in Long Beach

bec102896
Aviator A

LGB is not the only airport that sw uses both doors to board/deplane I think there are a couple more in CA that do that. 

i think let the group go and once it dies down then start the next group kind of like a regular jet bridge when it’s full they stop scanning maybe scan the A group and as it’s getting to the last few then start the family and B group but allow them to go from either door but B30 in front of 10 shouldn’t make that much of a difference 

you can share your feedback with Southwest by clicking the contact us link at the bottom of this page. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@McSmooth wrote:

On Monday, June 5 we were flying home from Long Beach.  No announcement was made that they would be boarding from both front and rear doors.

We had an early B group spot in line.  After getting in line on the ramp at the front door, we notice the staircase at the rear door.  So everyone in line behind us is running to the rear door.

We were the last 6-8 people on the plane.  What's the point of checking in 24 hours before the flight, or even purchasing early bird?  Even if we were in late A-group, it woudn't have made any difference.

My wife and I were separated and in middle seats.  This never happens with a normal boarding procedure and an early B group.  We've flown Southwest dozens of times and know this is the case.

The flight wasn't delayed so there was no reason to board from both doors.  In fact, we were held on the runway for 20 minutes due to weather at the destination.

This is a terrible idea with the open seating policy.  

With each flight on Southwest, we are finding that spending a little more on United or Delta is worth the price.

This is a known issue to the frequent flyers at LGB and also BUR - the preboarders go for the ramp on the front entry and so as you described if you are able to take the stairs at the rear entry it may result in better seating.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Maybe next time, you learn your lesson and head for the stairs ...

Boarding thru 2 doors allows faster loading of the plane - more efficient -- and potentially helps get more flights/day out of planes. than if only boarding via the front door.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Let me try and draw a picture on behalf of the OP.

No one argues that boarding from both doors is faster.  In fact, board from three.  We are all happy with that.

The problem comes when you completely shatter the boarding positions by having people all over the place boarding the plane.  That's the only issue being raised.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Let me try and draw a picture on behalf of the OP.

No one argues that boarding from both doors is faster.  In fact, board from three.  We are all happy with that.

The problem comes when you completely shatter the boarding positions by having people all over the place boarding the plane.  That's the only issue being raised.

I understood the OP clearly, and offered my customer-to-customer advice:

• Assess the situation and use the second entry if traveling in LGB or BUR, it may be advantageous.
  • I'll add to that OP could reach out and express their displeasure, perhaps a LUV voucher might be offered if @McSmooth is that concerned. 

If anyone wants to change the boarding process at these airports then you should use the Contact Southwest Customer Service methods and reach out to Southwest directly.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

McSmooth
Explorer C

Just a follow-up.

$175 LUV voucher received for both my wife and I.

bec102896
Aviator A

@McSmooth wrote:

Just a follow-up.

$175 LUV voucher received for both my wife and I.

Wow that’s generous 

floridaguy
Aviator C

That's irrefutable evidence that Southwest DOES NOT endorse what these gate agents are doing despite that it has become the norm in this location.

I continue to affirm that what is needed is an instant reporting system when the gate agent doesn't follow the policy and you get an instant feedback and it gets checked out.  If a gate agent knows that within 30 seconds of doing something wrong they will be challenged, they'll follow the rules.

If this would ever happen to me, I'd pitch a fit and demand a LUV voucher too.  

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

If this would ever happen to me, I'd pitch a fit and demand a LUV voucher too.  

You must be real fun at parties Gimme gimme gimme.