Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Boarding position changed after paid upgrade

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@garcianc wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

This, hopefully you understand by now, is not true.

I wouldn't go that far. I have no knowledge of SW boarding position assignment algorithm. Do you? I am not sure what your relationship is with SW, so maybe you do.

We know that the Early Bird Check-in process boarding position is based on an algorithm known only to Southwest. Why would SW stop there?

This is wrong.

EarlyBird Check-In positions are assigned in the order of purchase (with Anytime ahead of Wanna Get Away).

Southwest publishes this info. We've had years to verify that it's true in practice. This is how it's done. This is a fact.

Simply choosing to not understand the system (or lacking the capability to do so) doesn't change how the system, in fact, works.

😉

https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/earlybird_checkin_faq.html

Is there an order in which EarlyBird Check-In Boarding Passes are reserved?

Yes. Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over Customer’s who purchase Early Bird with other fare types. Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to passengers within the same fare class.

garcianc
Explorer B

I stand corrected on the Early Bird upgrade. It had been a while since I read SW boarding policies and I believe I might have confused it with the A-list assignment policy.

Thanks for the clarification.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@garcianc wrote:

I stand corrected on the Early Bird upgrade. It had been a while since I read SW boarding policies and I believe I might have confused it with the A-list assignment policy.

Thanks for the clarification.

A-list and A-list preferred are nebulous within their groups, but would always be bracketed by BS in the early range and EBCI coming after them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

mhhayes33
Explorer C

I am SO glad you made this post.  YES! I have had the same issue for the past 2 years.  I purchased an upgrade about 2 years ago, and EVERY TIME SINCE I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A BOARDING GROUP position that is at least  at the end of the A group and usually in the B Group.  Also, to respond to the nay-sayers, I always, without fail, check in the moment the clock ticks 24 hours from the flight time.  It happened a few times and I thought it was my imagination.  I have now started keeping a log (I fly a lot for business) and it has happened EVERY flight, without fail.  I remember the old days when I used to get an A20 or A30, but that literally has not happened since I purchased an upgrade.  I am keeping the log because I would be willing to bet that there are others out there who have had the same issue.  By the way, to those Southwest reps posting on here, in the past 2 years I actually moved to a new city and it still is happening.  I have flown to many different locations (both direct and with legs) all over the country and it has happened without fail.  If I bet against the odds of this happening, I would have been able to buy my own jet by now!  I am actually surprised that Southwest would be so blatant about this as a simple IT audit could easily uncover the truth here.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mhhayes33 wrote:

I am SO glad you made this post.  YES! I have had the same issue for the past 2 years.  I purchased an upgrade about 2 years ago, and EVERY TIME SINCE I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A BOARDING GROUP position that is at least  at the end of the A group and usually in the B Group.  Also, to respond to the nay-sayers, I always, without fail, check in the moment the clock ticks 24 hours from the flight time.  It happened a few times and I thought it was my imagination.  I have now started keeping a log (I fly a lot for business) and it has happened EVERY flight, without fail.  I remember the old days when I used to get an A20 or A30, but that literally has not happened since I purchased an upgrade.  I am keeping the log because I would be willing to bet that there are others out there who have had the same issue.  By the way, to those Southwest reps posting on here, in the past 2 years I actually moved to a new city and it still is happening.  I have flown to many different locations (both direct and with legs) all over the country and it has happened without fail.  If I bet against the odds of this happening, I would have been able to buy my own jet by now!  I am actually surprised that Southwest would be so blatant about this as a simple IT audit could easily uncover the truth here.  

I'm A list and fly 30-35 times a year. I regularly end up with A 35-45, unless I'm taking the last flight of the day when I might end up with A20-A25. I have been A60. Any remaining A listers come after me, and then the EBCIers come next. So it is not surprising that you might end up with a boarding spot in the high As or the Bs.

There are more A listers than there were a few years ago - more people buying EBCI, too.

jksobonya
Aviator A

The best part of this entire thread is the OP somehow getting a boarding assignment of "C62." I hope you framed that boarding pass!

Despite the one other recent poster having a somewhat similar run of bad luck, there's no conspiracy here. Your boarding position is assigned based on a variety of factors already outlined. If you 'wait' to check in and you don't have A-List, EB, etc., you are all but guaranteed to get a C position. There are exceptions: mainly when flights are not 100% full. There have been times when I forgot to check in for a few hours, got a C, and was able to manage an aisle seat. Rare, but it happens. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones 😉 

--Jessica