Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding position

sdollen1
Explorer C

Flying OKC to PHX tomorrow morning and had purchased tickets months in advance and paid the early bird fees.  did my online check-in this morning at exactly 24 hours before flight and was put in boarding position A50.  Really?    

Was given the option to "upgrade" so I did and was then put into position A8.  

So, if A8 was available when I did the online early bird check-in, why wasn't I just placed in A8 to begin with, without paying the additional money to "upgrade"??

Seems pretty unethical to me and just another way for SWA to make money.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Boarding position

floridaguy
Aviator C

All that the EBCI does is check you in.  There have been a dozen or so posts recently where people have complained that despite the EBCI, their boarding position was relatively poor.

I have always suggested to check in 24 hours prior to the flight - use your phone for a reminder and you will get an adequate boarding position.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

A1-A15 are reserved for those that buy Business Select fares and those that elect to buy them, if available, within 24 hours of departure. They are not automatically handed out as part of the A-List and EBCI boarding position allocation.

The best boarding positions  go first to A-List passengers followed by EBCI buyers IN THE ORDER OF EBCI purchase. So if you were A50 that means there were 35 other A-list and EBCI purchasers in front of you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Wow! A50 and still complaining? 

As stated by @dfwskier you only get in A1-15 through the purchase of Business Select or upgraded boarding so you weren't even eligible for those spots.

--TheMiddleSeat

sdollen1
Explorer C

yep.  A50 and still complaining.  I had tickets on United that were still good due to a flight being cancelled in 2020 due to Covid.  But, decided to purchase tickets on SWA since the flight was direct.  Honestly, not a fan of the open cattle call on SWA and prefer assigned seating.  So, yeah...A50 and still complaining.  Paid an additional $160 to "upgrade" and to be moved up from A50 to the A1-A15 group.  It's a weary world we live in.

Thanks for the info.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

With an A50 position you could have sat almost anywhere you wanted. Unless you absolutely had to have one specific seat I see no reason to upgrade. It's nice Southwest provides that option to those who do want to have a better boarding position. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Unless dealing with a plane with lots of continuing passengers, I have found that If I board as late as about B10 that I'll find an aisle or window seat in row 11 and forward.

which you won;t get on United unless you pay $40-$60 more for the seat.