Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding with children

Emy2023
Explorer C

We are a family of 6. Two adults, a 12 yr old, two 7 yr olds, and a 2 yr old.  Am I reading the policy correctly that we will be able to board during family boarding because we have a 2 yr old?  Will we all be able to board together? Or just the 1 adult and the toddler?  None of my children have flown before, so regardless of them being over 6 I want them to be, and they will want to be, all together with my husband and I. If we are able to all board at the same time during family boarding, will purchasing early bird for all of us make a difference? Does it ever get you into group A? 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Boarding with children

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

The child who is 2 can do family boarding with up to 2 adults the others will need to board with their assigned boarding position. 

EB check in doesn’t guarantee an A boarding position it only guarantees that you will be automatically checked in 36 hours before your flight and you can then check in anytime starting at the 24 hour mark to obtain your boarding pass. Now days it seems a lot of people end up getting B boarding with EB as A Listers are assigned boarding passes before EB passengers. 

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I hate to say this, but if you all want to sit together, maybe this trip should be on an airline

where you can reserve seats.

Emy2023
Explorer C

Wow,  I didn't think that any airline would expect young children to sit apart from their parents.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Emy2023 wrote:

Wow,  I didn't think that any airline would expect young children to sit apart from their parents.  

Sorry, but Southwest has no control over where passengers sit on any flight.

Thus Southwest does not "expect" anything

Emy2023
Explorer C

Yes they certainly do have control. If they can kick whole families off because of mask issues, they can certainly make sure that children are seated with parents.  It's not hard. If southwest is truly this non-family friendly then this will unfortunately be the first and last trip with them.  It's very disappointing ☹

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Perhaps you could purchase the the business select upgrade for boarding in the A1 to A15 slots for part of the family, go to seats in the rear of the plane and have the other parent and 2 year old board during family boarding?

This will insure you can sit together.

As far as being family friendly SW is always very accommodating to families, but Rules are just that rules.   

ThisIsWhyIDrive
Explorer C

"As far as being family friendly SW is always very accommodating to families,"

Separating 7 year olds from their parents in not accommodating to families at all.

ThisIsWhyIDrive
Explorer C

Sorry, but denying a 7 year old entry to the plane with her parents is most absolutely "expecting" children to sit apart from their parents. You're telling me Southwest won't let you reserve seats AND also won't let a child over 6 board with her parent and younger siblings?? My daughter turned 7 in May. If they try to separate her from us it will be the last dollar this airline receives from me.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Not that I'm a fan of saving seats, especially five of them.  But...SWA does not have a policy for or against saving seats.

One parent could board with the two-year-old during family boarding, between Group A and B.  That parent could then save seats for the rest of the family.  I would only do this toward the rear of the aircraft.  Maybe even give the FA a heads up.  Be sure to have five items (sweater, purse, toy, etc.) to place on each seat so it's apparent that you are saving them.  Be prepared for some scowls, but it will probably work.

People, don't hate on me for this suggestion.  She has already purchased tickets on SWA and is in a bit of a pickle.  I wouldn't want my two (yikes...two!) seven-year-olds that far away from me or the other adult.  Early Bird most likely will be a waste of money and not helpful with regard to a better boarding position.