Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding with children

cjrobb
Explorer C

In a few weeks I am traveling with my 3 children, ages 11, 9, and 6. I know that I can board with the 6 year old during family boarding. Will my 9 and 11 year old be able to board with us during family boarding, too? Or will they have to wait? I will not be traveling with any other adults. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Boarding with children

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The rules are that the 9 and 11-year olds would board at their numbered position, and that everyone would be able to board together at the highest number slot if you didn't board with the youngest at family boarding. 

You may want to ask the gate agent about allowing all three kids at family boarding. Depending on the airport they may allow this. It is possible that you could just try it as well, but you would want to have "Plan B" in place if the agent didn't allow the two older ones through.

If the two older kids do board later than you, let the flight attendant know that they are coming and they can probably help you, it will be less stressful trying to hold a couple of spots towards the back of the plane than the front.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cjrobb
Explorer C

Thanks! Would you reccomend purchasing Early Bird Check in? It's a 4 hr flight in the late evening, so I want to ensure we sit together. Or do you think if I board with my 6 year old during family boarding, we will be able to hold seats together. This is our first trip on Southwest, so we don't know what to expect. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Overall holding a couple of spots for your kids shouldn't be a big deal...stay out of the front rows and obviously away from the exit rows where kids aren't allowed anyway. As long as the older kids can be entrusted to line up and board on their own I think you'll be fine.

That said, holding one spot is easy - if you and the six year old sit aisle and window, you will be able to hold the middle seat no problem.

For two seats you'll be looking to either sit 2+2 or 3+1...maybe you and the youngest can sit in two aisle seats towards the back, saving the middles next to you, that would also be pretty easy even if the kids boarded last.

Taking three seats in one row and trying to hold the aisle across from you, in front of your, or to your rear - you'd need to explain the situation to anyone that came by looking at that spot, and maybe enlist the help of the flight attendant or other passengers that sit in the other two seats of that row.

If Early Bird for the older kids isn't a burden it may help a little - you'll most likely be fine without it, but if it reduces stress then maybe it is worth the peace of mind.

Otherwise just make sure everyone is ready to check in exactly at 24-hours prior to get the best numbers that you can. Ask the gate agent if everyone can board at family boarding, which they may allow.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tpegan
Explorer A

Just ask the boarding agent.  Southwest is very lax about enforcing this policy.  This may seem like a nice gesture on their part but it's easy to be accomodating when it comes at other peoples' expense.