Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding

PaulPatino
Explorer B

How does the boarding process work for a family of 4? My wife, 8 year old daughter, 6 year old son, and myself. Just wondering because my 8 year old is stressing the possibility of having to board alone.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Boarding

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If you all happen to get A boarding positions then board at the worst A position of the group. If you don't get A then 99% of the time you can all board during family boarding between the A and B groups without a problem. Most gate agents will not question this with 2 children of that age. Otherwise one adult and the 6 year old can board in family boarding and then one adult and the 8 year old can board in their assigned positions. You can also all board together at the worst of the boarding positions. You can move backwards in line, but not ahead so no one needs to worry about boarding alone. 

--TheMiddleSeat

PaulPatino
Explorer B

Thank you. The less stress we have that day the better. I appreciate the quick response.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Boarding together and sitting together are two separate issues.  If you purchased the tickets all at once, the boarding positions are likely in sequence.  

Since Southwest has unassigned seating, where you sit depends upon open seats.  

So, are you worried about boarding or sitting together?

PaulPatino
Explorer B

Both actually. However having to leave my 8 year old daughter in line to board alone is kind of stressing us both out.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Are your boarding numbers in sequence?

PaulPatino
Explorer B

Yes they are.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I fail to understand what this is all about.  Your boarding numbers are in sequence and you will go on the plane in succession.

This is done every day since Southwest first began flight.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I fail to understand what this is all about.  Your boarding numbers are in sequence and you will go on the plane in succession.

This is done every day since Southwest first began flight.  

Nope that is not accurate. SW handed out plastic boarding passes at gates thru 2002. First at the gate got the best boarding position.

9/11 changed that.

PaulPatino
Explorer B

I apologize for the questions. It's just that I haven't flown since I was in the Marine Corps over 20 years ago. And so much has changed and the one thing I don't want is to be unprepared. But thank you for the time you have spent answering my questions.