Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding

precious8990460
Explorer B

I'm planning on our trip in October for a family of 7 . It would be me , my grown daughter and 2 adult boys and girlfriend and my sister and her boyfriend . We would love to be able to sit atleast near each other . My plan is to book all at the same time if possible with early bird check in . Do you believe it would be possible to board the same time. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

Well, first of all you  can't book October flghts yet as the schedule is yet to be publshed. - maybe 2 months from now.

To answer your question, if you book flights and early bird at the same time -- six months out , your boarding positions should be pretty close to sequential, allowing you to board together and should allow you to sit next to one another. 

precious8990460
Explorer B

Thank you I know its too early hoping to see if opens up March or April for our dates just getting excited for our trip lol

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@precious8990460

I don't know how to answer this to your questions. It is highly unlikely and Try to purchase the ticket online for your family and friend, see if you can click for early bird for the group. I cannot guarantee this.

You might want to check this out: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Boarding/Newbie-Early-Bird-Check-In-Questions/td-p/52303

It is highly unlikely that the family can preboarding with group along with grown children. I would suggest that you contact the swa for some informations.

precious8990460
Explorer B

I don't need to do pre boarding I will get early bird check in when I purchase tickets just wanted to know if its possible we all will be able to board together whether it be a group or b group

dfwskier
Aviator A

@precious8990460 wrote:

I don't need to do pre boarding I will get early bird check in when I purchase tickets just wanted to know if its possible we all will be able to board together whether it be a group or b group

I don't think it's possible to gurantee that all 7 of you will be in A group - but buying early bird 6 months prior to departure date makes it likely. I think the boarding positions are likely to be sequential, but that could mean that four of you are A57-A60 while three of you could be B1-B3.

If you run into that situation, those in A group could hold back and board with those in B group.

krafty81
Adventurer C

If you board in A group, just go towards the back of the aircraft. There will be plenty of seats (and bin space) for everyone there, regardless of boarding order.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Also, if I can opine, if some of you enjoy aisles, you'll likely be able to snag a bunch if you're in Group A and the start of B. Safe travels and enjoy!

ZevSupport

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Vapor6
Explorer B

I will take the heat for buying a seat on Southwest, without doing some online reasearch. Had I known what I know now, I would have NEVER considered Southwest as a viable option. I rank the idiocracy of their policies, in line with, (wait for it) Spirit Airlines. 

First off, PAY A FEE TO CHECK IN EARLY? That doesn't guarantee a single thing. Secondly, no guarantee that you will sit with your travel partners. From the looks of the plane set ups, there are no 'classes', so, essentially, you pay for the opportunity to board in the first group. Which seems like it would be a no-brainer, but in actuality, is a complete waste of money.

Thirdly, as a career service-member with a 50% disablity rating from the V.A. you would think Southwest could make some concessions. Again, you would THINK that is common sense; apparently not. ( I confirmed this with a rep from the company, before posting this review). 

Here is the beauty of this lesson. I travel with a club sports programs, 400 passengers every 4-6 weeks, all going to Destinations that SW flies. If the average ticket costs $350 per seat (non business class fare), and we travel to 4-5 fly-in destinations during the season, that is a revenue stream of 700k. We have done this every year for the past decade....

I can guarantee that SW will be fortunate to see even 5% of that total revenue going forward, due to their ridiculous operational procedures. 

The tone of this message may sound sarcastic, or even bitter. But truth be told, I enjoy learning solid life-lessons and this experience will be just that. I will be traveling with a smile, knowing that I will never drop another dime into Southwest Airlines.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Vapor6 wrote:

I will take the heat for buying a seat on Southwest, without doing some online reasearch. Had I known what I know now, I would have NEVER considered Southwest as a viable option. I rank the idiocracy of their policies, in line with, (wait for it) Spirit Airlines. 

First off, PAY A FEE TO CHECK IN EARLY? That doesn't guarantee a single thing. Secondly, no guarantee that you will sit with your travel partners. From the looks of the plane set ups, there are no 'classes', so, essentially, you pay for the opportunity to board in the first group. Which seems like it would be a no-brainer, but in actuality, is a complete waste of money.

Thirdly, as a career service-member with a 50% disablity rating from the V.A. you would think Southwest could make some concessions. Again, you would THINK that is common sense; apparently not. ( I confirmed this with a rep from the company, before posting this review). 

Here is the beauty of this lesson. I travel with a club sports programs, 400 passengers every 4-6 weeks, all going to Destinations that SW flies. If the average ticket costs $350 per seat (non business class fare), and we travel to 4-5 fly-in destinations during the season, that is a revenue stream of 700k. We have done this every year for the past decade....

I can guarantee that SW will be fortunate to see even 5% of that total revenue going forward, due to their ridiculous operational procedures. 

The tone of this message may sound sarcastic, or even bitter. But truth be told, I enjoy learning solid life-lessons and this experience will be just that. I will be traveling with a smile, knowing that I will never drop another dime into Southwest Airlines.

Sorry to hear that you do not plan to fly Southwest again. Some people love Southwest. Others hate it. Apparently you are in the later camp.

However, lots of others don't share your feelings as Southwest has the highest customer satisfaction numbers and passenger count in the country.

Enjoy your future travels on whichever carrier you choose.