Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking. First time, and something happens, of course

Tibboh
Explorer B

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but must right away jump straight to my reservation issue. In summary after booking a mid January, cheapest, non-stop round trip I was splash offered an upgrade to Business Select For $52 - it was later changed to WGAplus at the checkout.

I took the offer, of course, figuring it's going to be a light loaded plane leaving Florida for the frigid cold North, and the business upgrade wasn't in high demand. I would happily have taken BS for $52, the extra 6x points plus other perks made it worth it, and the plane might be full by mid January.  I called customer service, and they were fantastic, but would only downgrade me back to basic WGA with a $30 credit. So I would be out $22, just another small mess I'll have to sort out later.

I'm sure this has happened before, and I did check the forum but nothing specific to this issue came up. I guess it's good to bring up anyway. Help me if you can. Have a great evening regardless. Regards,

T

P.S. I might have a screen grab of the errant promo - in case you're wondering 😉

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Booking. First time, and something happens, of course

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're never "out" money with Southwest except for the unique situation involving EarlyBird Check-In on a flight you cancel or just flat out no showing a flight.

Based on what you've said you either have/get a travel credit to use later or a refund, but I'm not following you clear enough to tell you what should happen. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Tibboh
Explorer B

The CS rep in San Antonio, Ryan, was very helpful and could not really explain the $52 charge for what he saw as just a single tier upgrade.  The $22 refund difference is not the issue. I was offered, and took, a triple tier upgrade and it is now my word against theirs because the add on Business Select promo is nomo according to their records. I'm hoping and figuring someone else out yonder might have had the same or similar experience with very late - no time to think - add on deals arriving just before the payment screen ( with screenshot evidence!)

jksobonya
Aviator A

Upgrading all the way to Business Select from WGA for $52 seems cheap. WGA+ seems a little more believable but $52 seems too expensive to upgrade from WGA to WGA+! I wonder if the "promo" said something like upgrade "starting at $52" and it showed Business Select as the top tier, but $52 was for the WGA+ fare and the others were more expensive. 

With that said, for all the years I have flown Southwest, I don't think I've ever gotten an offer to upgrade a month before my flight ... or I just ignore them lol. 

--Jessica

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

With that said, for all the years I have flown Southwest, I don't think I've ever gotten an offer to upgrade a month before my flight ... or I just ignore them lol. 

Suggestion yes, but offer (with a discount) no.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Tibboh
Explorer B

...but $52 seems too expensive to upgrade from WGA to WGA+! I wonder if the "promo" said something like upgrade "starting at $52" and it showed Business Select as the top tier, but $52 was for the WGA+ fare and the others were more expensive. 

Thanks for the reply, sorry I couldn't reply earlier, busy all day.

No I did not see WGA Plus or the Anytime in the offer, it said "Business Select" and was split into about $25 or $26 each way or both for $51 or $52. The reservation details online now just says WGA+ with estimated points of 1,623, and apparently Southwest does not itemize the separate cost on the ticket, it should be on a invoice somewhere I assume ... but I haven't found it. I can see offering a low price upgrade for a half empty flight (it lists my northbound plane as 800max8) but the $52 offer was equally divided for the return flight (800, no max:-( . There might of course be a natural reflex to click a Business Plus offer over any lower tier upgrade...  I really should not be overthinking this right now.

Does the community board moderators ever allow for file attachments or photos?

I'll continue to call CS and will get back with you all, but anyone else that can recall -with some proof - such an occurrence is helpful to my case, and this certainly shouldn't happen again, by IT/web design people or whoever!  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tibboh wrote:

Does the community board moderators ever allow for file attachments or photos?

I'll continue to call CS and will get back with you all, but anyone else that can recall -with some proof - such an occurrence is helpful to my case, and this certainly shouldn't happen again, by IT/web design people or whoever!  

You should have an icon of a camera that lets you attach photos, subject to moderation so the photo upload may not take place instantly with your post.

All the instances I can recall would support that maybe it was misread and was actually proposing WGA+ but I hope you are able to resolve the issue and if there is a bug or glitch to get it fixed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tibboh wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but must right away jump straight to my reservation issue. In summary after booking a mid January, cheapest, non-stop round trip I was splash offered an upgrade to Business Select For $52 - it was later changed to WGAplus at the checkout.

I took the offer, of course, figuring it's going to be a light loaded plane leaving Florida for the frigid cold North, and the business upgrade wasn't in high demand. I would happily have taken BS for $52, the extra 6x points plus other perks made it worth it, and the plane might be full by mid January.  I called customer service, and they were fantastic, but would only downgrade me back to basic WGA with a $30 credit. So I would be out $22, just another small mess I'll have to sort out later.

I'm sure this has happened before, and I did check the forum but nothing specific to this issue came up. I guess it's good to bring up anyway. Help me if you can. Have a great evening regardless. Regards,

T

P.S. I might have a screen grab of the errant promo - in case you're wondering 😉

If you have the screenshot then you'll have to share it, I haven't ever seen anything like this.

I do usually see the options "Upgrade for $XX" but these are always the same price that I just passed up for the same thing, never discounts. It is more of a reminder of what you could have bought instead.

That may be why they were able to roll things back so easily - if you had bought anytime for instance, it would be refundable for the difference. Or any Southwest ticket within 24 hours of booking can be refunded and then rebook on your own.

Tibboh
Explorer B

If you have the screenshot then you'll have to share it, I haven't ever seen anything like this.

That's interesting. I might have the picture of the upgrade page, but I wanted to see if this was a common occurrence, and it's looking like it isn't. I now realize I posted this on the wrong sub forum and it might get more attention under the reservations sub forum but it's probably too late to put it there I guess. Thanks for the help,T

Tibboh
Explorer B
Solution

Accidentally, my reply was in italics.  Starting with "That's interesting..."

like this.

That's interesting. I might have the picture of the upgrade page, but I wanted to see if this was a common occurrence, and it's looking like it isn't. I now realize I posted this on the wrong sub forum and it might get more attention under the reservations sub forum but it's probably too late to put it there I guess. Thanks