Southwest Airlines Community

Boxes used as checked luggage for domestic travel

vetriselvan
Explorer C

Hi, 

can i check-in uhaul boxes 

first two  check-in is  18" x 18" x 24"

next 4 check-in is  Box dimensions: 24" x 18" x 24" 

I am willing to pay fee as per the southwest . i just want know  is dimensions of boxes i use is right . 

Please help me . 

Thanks, 

Vetri 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Boxes used as checked luggage for domestic travel

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The first size you have listed is within the standard baggage limits, the larger size is not and would be considered oversized. If I'm reading your message correctly you are looking to check 6 boxes? Remember, 2 boxes within allowed sizes to weight limits can be checked free per passenger, the others would incur a fee, possibly oversize AND excess baggage fees.

Southwest baggage info and fees can be found here: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html

I've also copied and pasted below:

Excess Baggage

Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Weight and Size Allowance

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo, visit www.swacargo.com.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@vetriselvan wrote:

Hi, 

can i check-in uhaul boxes 

first two  check-in is  18" x 18" x 24"

next 4 check-in is  Box dimensions: 24" x 18" x 24" 

I am willing to pay fee as per the southwest . i just want know  is dimensions of boxes i use is right . 

Please help me . 

Thanks, 

Vetri 

Hi Vetri. Yes you can shop u-haul boxes as luggage. Just make sure that they are taped in a manner that will  survive the rigors of the process.  This is likely to be VERY expensive for you unless you happen to be military on active duty or permanent change of station. The rule is that boxes in excess of 62 inches (height+length+width) are oversized and incur an extra fee. Your 18x18x24 boxes are fine. as they add up to 60. So by my math, the other 4 boxes will cost you $150 each since each of them add up to 66.  I'd encurage you to check what UPS would charge you to ship those boxes..

Another cheaper alternative for you might be to downsize the bigger boxes into the 18x18x24 size.

6 of those would cost less than 4 of the bigger size.

Also remember that no box can weigh more than 100 pounds.

Anyway, here are the rules:

"

Weight and Size Allowance

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs.  Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo, visit www.swacargo.com.

Exception:  Military Passengers traveling on active duty or permanent change of station orders will be exempt from the two-piece Baggage limit and will not be subject to excess, oversize, or overweight Baggage charges, provided that none of the pieces of Baggage exceeds 100 pounds in weight and 80 inches in size (L+W+H)."

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@vetriselvan

If you are staying at a hotel, I suggest calling and asking if you can ship 2 or 3 boxes to them before you leave so that they arrive while you are there.  Less hassle for you and probably less cost.  Most hotels will accept shipments because they are used to hosting meetings.

Good luck and safe travels.