Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Broken ankle/Pre-board/Assistance?

CaptNamo
Explorer C

My wife and I don't fly often, but LUV flying SW when we do.  Trouble is we've always been ambulatory.  However, since making our October reservation (GRR to PHX via Denver), my wife broke her right ankle.  She's still going to have an air cast boot and be non-weight bearing on that foot when we fly, so she's getting around with knee scooter and crutches (not very well).

I'm not sure how this is going to work.  Am I thinking correctly here?

1.  Get a pre-board pass at the gate (so much for our early-bird check in)

2.  Knee scooter down the ramp and gate-check the scooter at the plane (or should we check it earlier and wheelchair to the plane?)

3.  Struggle with crutches onto the plane (I think I read that crutches are allowed on the plane, although I'm not sure how they'll work down the isle nor how they might be stowed) and

4.  Hope to get a seat (in the front?) with leg room for that clunky boot.

Any other suggestions?  Anyone else gate-checked a knee scooter before and have it arrive unscathed?  If anyone has practical experience with a similar inconvenience, please reply. =o)

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Broken ankle/Pre-board/Assistance?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CaptNamo wrote:

My wife and I don't fly often, but LUV flying SW when we do.  Trouble is we've always been ambulatory.  However, since making our October reservation (GRR to PHX via Denver), my wife broke her right ankle.  She's still going to have an air cast boot and be non-weight bearing on that foot when we fly, so she's getting around with knee scooter and crutches (not very well).

I'm not sure how this is going to work.  Am I thinking correctly here?

1.  Get a pre-board pass at the gate (so much for our early-bird check in)

2.  Knee scooter down the ramp and gate-check the scooter at the plane (or should we check it earlier and wheelchair to the plane?)

3.  Struggle with crutches onto the plane (I think I read that crutches are allowed on the plane, although I'm not sure how they'll work down the isle nor how they might be stowed) and

4.  Hope to get a seat (in the front?) with leg room for that clunky boot.

Any other suggestions?  Anyone else gate-checked a knee scooter before and have it arrive unscathed?  If anyone has practical experience with a similar inconvenience, please reply. =o)

Depending on her sense of balance it may be possible to hop down the aisle while holding the seats on either side, especially pre-boarding where you would be sitting presumably towards the front.

What's the liklihood for a lavatory visit on the GRR-DEN leg? That might be where you need some assistance from a person or equipment.

I'll let others chime in about getting from gate to airplane door.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CaptNamo
Explorer C

Thanks, DDE!

Echristensen
Explorer C

How did it go? We’re you able to gate check the knee scooter and use crutches to get to seat?  I am in a similar situation. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Echristensen wrote:

How did it go? We’re you able to gate check the knee scooter and use crutches to get to seat?  I am in a similar situation. 

Tagging @CaptNamo so that they get an email notifying them of a response (if opted in for those).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CaptNamo
Explorer C

It went fine.  It helped that I traveled with her.  We ended up not taking the crutches as I recall.  Got a wheelchair at check in and had assistance all the way to and from the gates, pre-boarding with others who needed assistance.  We did gate check the knee scooter, but just used a wheelchair on the layover stop.