Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I carry on a 26.5in collapsible ladder?

Daveearley
Explorer C

I have an Xtend and Climb collapsible ladder with dimensions - 26.5 by 18 by 3in.  It’s skinny, but slightly larger than most suitcase sizes.  It can be checked in the largest suitcases, but I’m concerned it may get dented during handling.  Since the rails are aluminum (and collapsible) a dent would render the ladder useless.  TSA could not verify whether or not this size is acceptable because airlines have different rules.  Would I be able to carry this ladder aboard Southwest and place it overhead?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can I carry on a 26.5in collapsible ladder?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Daveearley wrote:

I have an Xtend and Climb collapsible ladder with dimensions - 26.5 by 18 by 3in.  It’s skinny, but slightly larger than most suitcase sizes.  It can be checked in the largest suitcases, but I’m concerned it may get dented during handling.  Since the rails are aluminum (and collapsible) a dent would render the ladder useless.  TSA could not verify whether or not this size is acceptable because airlines have different rules.  Would I be able to carry this ladder aboard Southwest and place it overhead?

That's larger than Southwest's carry-on limit of 10" x 16" x 24", so it's unlikely it would be allowed. Your best bet would be to put it into a suitcase, wrapped in padding, and check it.

Southwest Baggage Policies

Re: Can I carry on a 26.5in collapsible ladder?

Daveearley
Explorer C

True.  Laying flat it does not meet those dimensions.  However, it is less than the 50 linear inch limit, and can be tilted on either side because of the 3 inch depth.  It’s probably too wide for under seat storage, otherwise it would probably fit right under my backpack.