Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I check in a case of 24 - 12 ounce beer bottles or cans in the original sealed packaging?

paxtonrd
Explorer C

I am flying back from CVG in January 2020 and would like to know if I can check in a case of 24 - 12 ounce beer bottles or cans in the original sealed packaging? (I realize it can not be carried on.) I would figure it would count as one of my free pieces of luggage. Size wise and weight are under the standard limits. In addition, is there a limit as my wife would bring back one case back as well?

Some websites state that there is a 5-liter limit per person which equates to 14 - 12 ounce bottles but that does not apply to beer because it is below the 20% AVB (alcohol by volumn) limit.

Here is the background - the furthest east Alaskan Beer is distributed is Ohio. I live in Maryland. I want to take Alaskan Beer back to Maryland and I am visiting friends in Ohio. There really is no other ecomonical way to get the beer to Maryland as FedEx is super expensive. If you have had Alaskan Beer - you know it is worth the effort to transport it.

Can I get the official Southwest policy so there are no issues when I check in with a case or two? Granted I might get some interesting looks at the baggage claim with a case of beer in tow. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Can I check in a case of 24 - 12 ounce beer bottles or cans in the original sealed packaging?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Here's the answer to your question. 

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...r

My guess is that beer would be treated the same as wine and wouldn't be subject to the 5 liter limit. I think the rule is to minimize the amount of flammable alcohol as opposed to liquid. You can ask the question of the airline by clicking on "contact us" below.

I would recommend a case of cans instead of a case of bottles wrapped by a couple of sturdy garbage bags and placed in your checked luggage.